CD drive improves HD rip quality?

Hi,
I am on the road towards getting the maximum out of my PC based system.I always thought that HD ripping is of similar(same) quality, if you use WAV files.

Then i tried ripping with Millenium CD mat.Much better.
Now i am thinking about another drive.Drive quality could contribute to the final quality of the ripped WAV files (similar to what transport does in transport+DAC system).

I will try an external CD (not DVD) drive - connected with USB cable to PC.This way i can isolate the drive from vibration, and use a better USB cable to transfer data to Hard Disk.
The problem is, all PC CD drives (external and internal) seem very resonant and low in mass.

Question - anyone knows about any better drives or transports?Like a CD transport that is connected with PC thru USB,and can be controlled by PC's ripping software?Maybe serious companies have this kind of product?Like Wadia or someone else?

Or simply a better,more stable CD drive (for PC), made for audio use...
Help,anyone?
audiobb
I have no experience with FLAC.I have used Lite-on DVD drive this far,and EAC.I ripped WAV files only.I didn't have any problems with pops,or bad transfer.I have tried Easy CD-DA Extractor recently,and i like the option of choosing speed of the ripping.Very slow is only slightly better than max fast,but still it is worth it.
I was thinking about a Philips or Teac drive,as i know they make audio transports also.Still not sure which to choose.
""I would like to see a Krell or Levinson type, audio only, USB CD external drive. Something with three beams, designed to specifically rip audio and recover from read errors.""

Exactly.Or at least some PC drive that looks at least a bit more serious and with more weight.Any reccomendations?
Can you read non-music CDs OK without problem using your computer cd drive?

If so, your music CDs should be fine as well. All it has to do to rip to disk is extract data correctly. There is no sound production involved at this point (that comes later when streaming to the DAC). So I don't think there is much merit to an "audiophile" CD drive, at least for consumers. Vendors might be able to turn a pretty penny marketing such a thing though!

I think the software used probably makes much more difference. Recent versions of Windows Media Player for example work flawlessly as best I can tell.
Hi Mapman,
Yes, non music Cds also work fine.
I thought exactly the same as you.But then i tried Milenium CD mat on top of the music CD in the drive while ripping.It is just ones and zeros, but the difference is pretty obvious.
Then i thought about improving on the drive.If CD mat improves this much,then the drive also could,right?I think PC audio can go a long way.
I suspect the problem has something to do with how the ripping software is configured to handle errors when they occur.

Different optical drives will have different error rates for sure, some better than others requiring less re-scan. Software has to be configured to rescan as needed when errors occur. Re-scanning will make the rip take more time as parts of the CD are read multiple times to get all the bits correct.

Its possible that the gadget reduces the error rate to a level that the ripping software can handle better as configured.

I think the key is getting the software configured to handle errors correctly. Fewer errors from the drive will help things run smoother and faster as well.

I was lucky I think in that the Toshiba laptop I use seemed to come with a good quality optical drive that matches well out of the can to Windows Media Player to enable consistently good ripping. On some disks though, it can take a significantly longer time to rip than others.

I've ripped a couple hundred disks so far. None have failed. All sound flawless to my ears. I did have one disc ( one of three in a box set) that seemed to run forever while ripping, but it never stopped trying. Eventually, I had to just stop the ripping process on that one and give that one disk a free pass. It does seem to play fine on my Denon player though. Go figure!