MBA project - audiophile computer transport

Folks,

I am taking a class in new venture creation next semester and I am an audiophile.

With the increased popularity of computer based audio I surmised that there might be a market for an audiophile grade computer designed to work with a USB DAC. In other words is everyone perfectly satisfied with a Mac Mini? Or would you be interested in any of the following:

- IEC connector and built in power supply
- front panel display with artist, track or cover flow
- solid state drive
- upgraded power supply
- noise suppresion
- 19 x 2 with face plate form factor
- PCI cards for adding TV tuners
- dedicated video card superior to that of a Mac Mini
- front panel controls to play, pause, skip, access playlist menu.
- blue ray player
- upgraded USB output(not sure what could be done here)

It would probably have to run Windows unless I could convince Apple to let me OEM OS X. I am a huge Mac person but I would not be optimistic.

Could I make money building such a box or is the Mac Mini all anyone needs?

Amit
defender1844
If you build a better mousetrap....

The first step would be to evaluate the possible existence of a market, its potential size, what features it wants, price it would pay, etc.

Rather than an open ended post as above, why don't you make up a little survey and post it for responses? Something that doesn't require long narrative replies. I'd certainly be happy to respond. Perhaps other A'goners will as well. They're certainly an opinionated bunch.
Amit,

My suggestion for your new venture is to modify an etch-a-sketch with a brushed steel fascia, wooden knobs and vibrapod feet. Your specifications will claim that your new audiophile PC is pure analog magic and completely free from all ground loops, noise and jitter. When an audiophile complains simply take six months to reply and when they finally get hold of you tell them to reboot their computer ;-)
Turn-key servers like this are really only for the computer illiterate IMO. For most of us that have WiFi networks and can find our way around a computer, the ticket is iTunes and AppleTV controlled by an iPhone or a Sonos system. You dont need a computer even in the room, and a laptop can suffice.

If we want hi-res, then a USB or firewire DAC fills the need.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
I think your initial concept is good, but here's the issue: what makes it sound better? The increase in media servers says to me that yes, there is a market for a good machine that export the data "perfectly".

Here are some of my experiences thus far. Lossless itunes sounds better than lossless wmv files--why? I have no idea. My ipod going from a Wadia to a DAC sounds better than a PC with the same files going into the same DAC (SPDIF). In fact the ipod (these are lossless files) sounds just about imperceptible to the CD that was ripped. Going from the computer there is a very noticable loss in fidelity. It's still very good, but not as good. I've also tried a Genesis digital lens between the computer and DAC to see if cleaning up some jitter would improve the results. Sounds a little better that way--still not nearly as good as the CD.

So, for what it's worth, I would like a PC based computer that would play WMV (lossless but compressed) SPDIF out to a hi-res DAC that sound as good as the CD originals. I don't know if this is possible--in thoery it seems like it should be, but I am a far step away from it at the moment.
Rives - you are comparing apples and oranges IMO. Now if you had a low jitter bit-perfect digital computer source and compared it to the same track playing on a Transport, not a CD player, then you would have a valid comparison. Digital Lens is old technology BTW. There are much better clocks now. You also need an excellent DAC and preamp to hear the differences. The computer should trounce your Transport.

As for a S/PDIF out of your laptop to a DAC, a modern reclocker can make it as good as a transport, even better. See this review:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/ramblings_computer.htm

Steve N.
Empirical Audio