Your Music Server

This is a hot topic lately. There’s not a week that goes by without a how to question. My idea is one location and a lot of configurations. I feel it would be a big help to anyone wanting to set-up a Music Server.

Tell us about your Music server. Start at the Server/Computer and end up in your pre-amp. How does its sound compare to your other digital sources?

Mine was simple and easy to put together. The material list: From the local Apple Store I bought the following; Airport Extreme, AirPort Express and a AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cables.

I had a PowerMac G5 in a home office 35 feet from my main rig. I also had an old un-used Audio Alchemy DAC. I installed the AirPort Extreme (wireless card) in my G-5, five-minute job. I plugged in the Airport Express (wireless receiver) into a power strip near my main stereo. Then I used the optical to optical cable in the Connection Kit for the connection to the DAC. I had to get the G-5 manual out for my Mac to configure it for Digital Out. The last step was to set-up the wireless connection in the G-5. I followed the instructions for the Airport Express. The whole project maybe 3 hour to do, which includes driving across town to the Mac store.

I had been using iTunes for burning ripped vinyl and CD’s to disc. ITunes found the new network and added a button for selection of source, computer speakers or stereo room.

How does it sound? Right out of the gate it sounded great. I have since changed the DAC to a CAL Alpha tubed DAC. The sound of the Server w/Alpha is very good but in many ways does not even come close to the music that comes out of my Esoteric DV-50. I use the Music Server when I’m reading or doing things around the house. For the present it will not replace my DV-50 but who know the future.

One more thing, when the microwave oven is being used it interrupters the wireless connection and I have to restart the music.
vegasears
All CD's ripped to AIF files to a 400GB Western Digital External USB hard drive using Apple iTunes. PC is located in a separate room to eliminate fan noise and connected to a Roku Soundbridge via Ethernet or wireless connection. The Roku has a digital coax or toslink output. I'm using the coax out to a Ack! Dack 2.0 hirez option and Audio Mirror D2. Both DAC's are NOS types.

I've been using a PC based music server for almost a year now. Previous digial front ends have been CAL Audio Delta-Alpha combo and Marantz SACD SA14.

I'll never go back to a conventional CD player.
Apple G5 + LaCie FW Disk + Wireless + TOSLink.....

Music Server PC:
Apple G5 Dual 2.3 PPC / LaCie 500GB Big Disk Extreme (connected via FW800)
Audio output: AirPort Extreme Wireless Card
.|||.
.|||.
.|||.
.V.

AirPort Express:
Audio output: TOSLink
Audio output: AirPort Extreme Wireless Card
.|||.
.|||.
.|||.
.V.

Audio Receiver:
Denon AVR-4306 (in Pure Direct mode 95% of the time)
Speaker Cables: Anti-cable

.|||.
.|||.
.|||.
.V.

Speakers:
° Tetra 120U Monitors
° Martin Logan Abyss Subwoofer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Other Hardware:
° 2 Additional AEs are connected to mini-powered speakers in the bedroom and kitchen.

Software:
° Apple OSX 10.4.5
° iTunes 7
° netTunes server (the app allows me to remotely run an iTunes session on the G5 wirelessly from a powerbook)
° Music files format is AIFF (currently making my way through ripping 450 CDs to the LaCie)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comments on my G5 wireless music server:

I am very happy with my set up. This is the most musical system I have ever owned. I really have no criticisms. My Denon AVR is also the center of my Home Theater in my living room as well. It is set up as a 5.1 system. The Apple G5 is not part of my HT video system.

The ability (via netTunes) to run iTunes from the sofa using the familiar iTunes interface is great. Thoug I only occasionally use it since the office is 15 feet from the G5 location (office) - it comes in handy when it a schizophrenic/I-wanna-listen-to-this/no wait/I wanna-listen-to-that mood).

Music Server Future Plans:

1. Office Speakers: I've ordered an M-Audio 2.1 lx4 powered speaker system for the office, but it's on back-order. So I am still looking for other high quality alternatives. Genelecs and swans were considered but I am not feeling the aesthetic designs of either of these. NHT M-00s may be considered, highly rated but more than my $350 budget. BlueSyk Medias 2.1 are also on my list to audition. My options are really open at this point. Though, I have already de-listed Klipsches.

2. Direct Digital connection to AVR: Since my G5 is in my office directly behind my Living Room. and only 10 ft away, I am considering running a TOSLink connection directly to the Denon AVR. But that requires drilling through a few walls (and I rent, do I need to test the relative benefits first). I will conduct a test by moving my the G5 into the living room to listen to the music directly through TOSLink to determine if I can discern any difference between wireless connection to digital connection of the AIFF files, as well as my DVD player -no measurements will be taken. I am also curious to find out if I can make sense of the often mentioned 'jitter' issue associated to the AE and DACs. Really I would love to hear a sample of music with jitter compared to the original source to know what I am listening for. As far as I know, I am not hearing any jitter on my system currently.
I currently use a Seagate 300GB External and a combination of iTunes and SlimServer Software. I will soon be moving to a larger storage unit as my music library is growing rapidly. I have both a Squeezebox 3 (Connected to my ECD-1 DAC via SPDIF) and an Apple Airport Express (Connected to my ECD-1 DAC via Toslink) in service.

I mainly listen to the Squeezebox as it just plain sounds better. Although I prefer the iTunes interface. I rip my tunes in MP3 variable bit-rate format which sounds great. If I want higher resolution, I throw a CD into my CEC Transport.. That simple.

Chris
I have an old and trusty G4 cube that is running all of my digital media. No keyboard, no mouse, just a keyspan remote that controls front row (it is apples media software). The MAC is connected to a M-Audio Audiophile (thats the actual name of the unit) external sound card via firewire. Right now i am using the DAC in the external sound card, but soon i am going to use an external DAC connected to the coax output of the sound card. Its sounds pretty darn good, but does not sound quite as great as my ELITE DV-59AVi universal player. I like the G4 cube as a media server because it is dead quite with no fan. WOOT! Anyway, i made a custom enclosure for it out of maple and it sits on bright star iso nodes, check it out in my virtual system. It really looks like a piece of high end audio gear.