Your Music Server

This is a hot topic lately. There’s not a week that goes by without a how to question. My idea is one location and a lot of configurations. I feel it would be a big help to anyone wanting to set-up a Music Server.

Tell us about your Music server. Start at the Server/Computer and end up in your pre-amp. How does its sound compare to your other digital sources?

Mine was simple and easy to put together. The material list: From the local Apple Store I bought the following; Airport Extreme, AirPort Express and a AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cables.

I had a PowerMac G5 in a home office 35 feet from my main rig. I also had an old un-used Audio Alchemy DAC. I installed the AirPort Extreme (wireless card) in my G-5, five-minute job. I plugged in the Airport Express (wireless receiver) into a power strip near my main stereo. Then I used the optical to optical cable in the Connection Kit for the connection to the DAC. I had to get the G-5 manual out for my Mac to configure it for Digital Out. The last step was to set-up the wireless connection in the G-5. I followed the instructions for the Airport Express. The whole project maybe 3 hour to do, which includes driving across town to the Mac store.

I had been using iTunes for burning ripped vinyl and CD’s to disc. ITunes found the new network and added a button for selection of source, computer speakers or stereo room.

How does it sound? Right out of the gate it sounded great. I have since changed the DAC to a CAL Alpha tubed DAC. The sound of the Server w/Alpha is very good but in many ways does not even come close to the music that comes out of my Esoteric DV-50. I use the Music Server when I’m reading or doing things around the house. For the present it will not replace my DV-50 but who know the future.

One more thing, when the microwave oven is being used it interrupters the wireless connection and I have to restart the music.
vegasears
"even though I use an Airport Express you may be doing yourself a disservice by using one with your DAC."

Herman, interesting statement. Are you telling me that yours is bigger than mine. Oh I mean better!
I'm telling you that I suspect the jitter specs for an Airport Express are not very good, and that I'm using a DAC with a jitter reduction circuit and, as far as I know, you are not.
All of my music is on an Infrant ReadyNas NV+ NAS with 250gbx4 drives in them configured in RAID 5. I then use the Sonos wireless music system. For my main rig, I use the DAC of the Cary 306 cdp. The sound is pretty good, though not as good as my Cary cdp. I encode in VBR256 using the latest LAME encoder and EAC ripping software. I am not able to use lossless formats becuase I have over 40K songs which would take up way too much space. Overall i am very pleased with the instant access I have to my large music collection, even if the quality is not as good as my cds...
I use Slimserver with a fully RWA modded Squeezebox 3 connected to a MHDT Paradisea tube DAC via cheap glass optical cable in my living room rig. I also use JRiver Media Center with my notebook and an Edirol UA-25 in my bedroom rig. All my CD's were ripped to a Simpletech 160 gig external HD using Itunes and lossless then I discoverecd JRiver. This is still a work in progress and I'm not sure where its headed. Unfortunitely my pc and laptop are down so I'm forced to use my cheap sony DVD player connected to the Paradisea tube dac. With all honesty the DVD player and dac sounds pretty darn good.

Enjoy.
I would have to agree with Herman's jitter concerns. I was running a Waveterminal U24 directly into a CAL Alpha (18 bit) dac and then into my Adcom GFP-750 (passive stage). The CAL Alpha was a big improvement over just using the U24's own dac in terms of reducing some of the digital harshness. HOWEVER, I have since picked up a Meridian 518 processor which reportedly has an excellent jitter reduction circuit and also has volume control. So the new chain is lossless FLAC -->U24-->Meridian 518-->CAL Alpha-->Hafler SE-120 amplifier.

I must say that the improvement in sound in this configuration was no subtle change. It is by far the most resolving and detailed, yet analog sounding PC audio configuration I've experienced yet (I've also run an EAD DSP 7000 MK II and Museatex Bitstream dacs in the system). I strongly believe that the underlying problem in my chain was that it was missing a well clocked source - it really made the CAL shine and surpass the EAD and Museatex.

This is all experimental for me and granted, I'm not running the "best" gear in the world. But for now as I wait for technology to mature, I must say that I am quite enjoying my music right now. Hopefully a true one box solution in the near future?

Herman, nice gear by the way.