Is iPod Digital Output Possible?

I've been scouring through all the ipod accessories and cannot find what I am looking for. Perhaps it does not exist. I was wondering if there is any cable or dock that will allow me to extract a digital output from my iPod video (or any iPod for that matter)? There's plenty of adapters to pull the analog out, but it seems like you always need a computer interface to get digital output. Why? Is it just a matter of software to sort out the library? More to the point; I want to connect my iPod directly to my DAC or even to my Waveterminal (requires the squareish delivery end of a USB cable) to my DAC...is this possible? Has this been discussed previously? If so, where the heck was I? No, don't answer that last part! The authorities may be listening in! Just tell me how to get a digital stream out of my iPod if it's possible.

Marco
jax2
Wavelength Audio has USB DAC's - check out the site www.wavelengthaudio.com and see if that might work. I couldn't tell by just the quick glance, but it would be worth a look.

Hepl,
Yamaha has a 200GB hard drive recorder that writes to the drive in an uncompressed format. I got one, and when I figure out how to use it, I will put all my CD's on it....
Wavelength Audio has USB DAC's

Yes, I know about their DACs. There are several companies with USB DAC's but they require a USB input (female). The only dongles cables available from the iPod Dock are USB male. I don't think you can reverse that or use an adapter - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Marco
Joeylawn36111,

This is my third hard drive. I keep running out of space, I do burn the entire disks. Of course I always hear the same songs over and over, about 30% of the library. But disk space is getting cheaper and it's easier for me to burn the whole than to manually select the songs I like.

Jax2,

I just bought an Alpine CDA-9855 and KCA-420I (I-Pod interface) for my Ruf. The I-Pod can be controled from the head unit, even the information can be seen on the dash. Not sure if the unit(KCA-420I) does the D/A conversion or just allow the head unit to control the I-Pod and read its display info. You may want to try to find out more on www.ipodlounge.com.
Hector
Hector - I have an Alpine head unit in the same series, and the same KCA-4201 iPod interface. That was the unit that made me curious if what I'm asking is possible. Alpine makes a nice head unit, but I find the iPod interface to be a bit tedious...don't you? It's still great to have access to such a great variety of music in the car, especially when driving long distance.

Marco
As a subset of this discussion, can anyone please suggest which of the new iPods might be most suitable to audiophile applications?

Would you just get the biggest, most expensive, video iPod? Or as audiophiles, does it make more sense to skip the video, perhaps gaining longer battery life or something?

Is the possibility for digital output the same for all models?