Mass .WAV compression utility?

I've got over 500 gigs of .wav files ripped in a nice orderly directory/file structure on a server like:

[Drive:]\My Music\[Artist]\[Album]\[TrkNo]-[Title].wav

I tend to use iTunes for playback off my Mac Mini and foobar 2000 for my WinXP boxes. While you can't "tag" a .wav, there is a nice Applescript I can run in iTunes, and masstagger in foobar, to allow me to build databases inside each program that recover tag information from the directory structure.

Now I want to create a shadow directory of everything in mp3 or aac format for portable use. All the mp3s I've made have been with EAC calling LAME as an external function when the disk was getting ripped. So, my question is...

...Does anyone know of a utility to mass convert .wavs to .mp3s, and either echo the directory structure on output or convert existing directory structure info into mp3 tags?
edesilva
Ed,

I am curious how long it took...

I am now 2-3 weeks into burning my music collection onto a new SATA 400 G HD in AIFF with error correction (would've have been done by now without..)

I am up to up to the P's.... excluding an entire CD book of compilations..

Ken
The ripping to .wav files took months. The mac just finished converting the .wav files to .aac--took about 100 hours...
Tell me about it! I started on 9/17 and only have 400 or so disks in... And I have been pretty diligent about putting them in, and in, and in...
If I had to do it over again...

1. I think I'd be more diligent about filling in album release date information when ripping.

2. While I organized later rips as:

[Drive:]/My Music/[Artist]/[Album]/[Trk_Title].wav

I really should have done:

[Drive:]/My Music/[Artist]/[Date]/[Album]/[Trk_Title].wav

3. When ripping compilations, I really should have put them in a separate /compilations directory--the large number of Artists I have with only one song makes the directory structure ugly.

Good luck!
Ed,

iTunes allows you to list compilations as such, it is a check box in the general preferences.

Hope this helps.

As for the release dates, I'm not to worried about that, and I hope using AIFF isn't going to limit me in the future....... I considered .WAV, but being a MAC guy went with AIFF.

FWIW I am doing this to have good access to all my music, and I started it to have it convienently at my disposal while cooking. Ironic that now that I have ~500 titles on the HD, they started demolishing my old kitchen today!

They say a month.....I suspect it will be longer.