Best way to hook up a sub?

Okay, so I just found a sub tonight (svs sb 12 plus) that has xlr inputs and outputs. Question is what is the best way to incorporate a sub in my system. I can run xlr's into my amp and use the remaining rca's into the sub, but I think I will get a hum if I do this (another ground loop?), and I would rather use xlr's because I just think they sound better. What about an xlr splitter? If I do use a splitter, does a cheap splitter offset the advantage's of high quality Xlr's? If not, would it be better to split the signal at the pre amp, or just run xlr's into the sub from the pre amp, and then from the sub into the amp, as this is possible with this sub?
128x128b_limo
Try downloading the Thiel SmartSub manual. There's a section on subwoofer placement.

I think centre between the 2 speakers is best for a single sub
What is your room dimensions and list of equipment? Have you tried placing the sub in between the speakers? Is the bass one-note bass or is it all bass frequency that you find annoying? If you can find the frequency that is bothering you, you can tame it with the Parametric EQ on that model.
I've tried placing it between the speakers and lose alot of output, and alot of the deeper bass. The bass I hear collecting in the back right side of the room does seem to be just a certain frequency whereas the other frequencies seem to be coming evenly from all over. I guess my next option is to do what you suggest and try taming it by ear with the p.e.q. Im also wondering if some room acoustics (bass traps) would help with that particular problem. Thanks hi end for the idea with the p.e.q. though.
Having corner reinforcement increases the output but I think it also can be muddy and not be as tight.

I remember before Audyssey AutoEQ for HT, I used a Behringer DEQ2496 to tune the subwoofer. A good flat response from the subwoofer sounded "less" to me but after a while, you realize you get more low level information than before.

I liked having my single sub between the mains because it doesnt seem as directional. Now I run it in stereo.

ps if you can, you can push the sub against the wall (but still between the speakers) to increase the output a bit.
Yes room treatment like bass traps would definitely help alot but that would not remove the one-note bass. When you place the sub in between, did you adjust the phase knob?