Most Challenging CD

What is the CD that most puts your system to task in your collection?

My best is, Tchaikovsky "The Nutcracker," by the Kirov Orchestra, conducted by Valery Gergiev. This CD has it all, huge bass passages, giant crescendos, sharp horns and interwoven dynamics.

Yes, I know, there are lots of CDs that show all these attributes. There is one thing on this CD that I have never heard on any other, a real loud gun shot.

Sure, some 1812 Overture discs have real cannon fire. They just aren't as powerful as the gun shot on this Nutcracker disc. This report is a CRACKPOW!!!!!!!!

Ok, what do you have that tests your system like no other? I am not really interested in test discs. I have those and they aren't as good, besides being boring.
muralman1
Speaking of "loud gun shot", on Danny Gatton's (live) album...more Blazing Telecasters, he does a slow (he rarely did anything slow) version of "back door blues". When the lyrics get to "cuz' I thought I heard a shot", Danny does a high-tech guitar effect of manipulating his guitar cable OUT/IN for the "shot"! First time I heard it, I thought my system malfunctioned!!
But yes..I agree, a friend who's done a couple of paid reviews, uses Stravinsky "The Rite Of Spring" Korev Orchestra w/Valery Gergiev as a reference. He refers to it as being blood thirsty!
Elizabeth

Thanks for your comment, one of the best I have ever read anywhere. It is so true. It seems that when people have these sort of low definition systems and miss all the nuances they just look for more bass. Those with good systems, hi resolution, appreciate much more then just the bass slam. Sad but true.

Jim
Jim, you are assuming too much. Jax2 in his summation of what I am hearing is
spot on. Elizabeth brings up a salient point, but I don't think she assumes a
system can do a realistic pistol firing while carrying a voice to full fruition.

Bass has little to do with the pistol report. It is the excited treble and mid ribbons
that react so.
Elizabeth, let's go your way. I like any Julie London CD for breathy singing. It is a good challenging CD. Another singer that challenges is Katie Malua. One person I know told me he hates her singing. "Sounds like she is singing from the bottom of a toilet." If one can get her full warm voice up front, she will amaze.