Difference b/w RPG Skyline and GIK QRD diffusors

Hi,
What is the difference b/w these two products in acoustical terms. They seem to be of a different design, but supposed to achieve the same acoust. effect (diffusion).
What should one expect to actually hear in the room with one product in place, vs. the other?
Rives Audio specified design with 6 RPG Skylines on the front wall for my basement, which is $2400. And I'm wondering if GIK QRD panels will offer comparable performance for significantly less money ($258 for two 2'x 4' panels).
maril555
Maril555,
Out of curiosity,did you ask RIVES why they suggested the Skylines for the centre of the front wall, or would that feel like you were challenging their expertise?! RiVES typically recommends a hemi-cylindrical (polyfuser) diffuser for front wall centre, not Skylines . . .

Given than Skylines will on average diffuse 50% of specular reflections horizontally and 50% vertically, whereas QRD's or hemi-cyclindricals will diffuse 100% horizontally, I would expect that you'll hear less ASW (apparent source width) with a 2D (i.e.Skyline) than with a 1D (QRD/Hemi)diffuser. ASW is associated with a wider soundstage. Given the listening distance from your chair to the front wall and given the propogation loss of reflections making their way to the front wall afer colliding with side and rear walls, in reality I doubt you'd hear any significant difference between Skylines and QRD on the front wall. You will hear more of a difference contrasting diffusion with broadband absorption on the front wall . . .

If cost is a concern, then I'd recommend building a DIY Skyline (see my system pics) or a hemi-cylindrical, both of which I've build several of and will gladly share my 'learnings.' Building your own will allow you to easily outperform the performance of mass produced Skylines and QRDs; RPG Skylines with its 7" depth will diffuse effectively to about 1kHz (50% of 965Hz wavelength is 7"). Diffusion should be broadband enough to work effectively (meaning cell/well depth should be a significant fraction of the wavelength, normally 50%) to 300Hz requiring a depth of 22.6" and a sitting distance of about 135" (3X the wavelength). Would your room accommodate these diffusion dimensions or slightly more conservative versions thereof?

The hemi-diffusers are great specular diffusers worth considering which can have their concave interiors stuffed with fiberglass to act as a bass trap - a two-in-one produce hard enough for MF/HF diffusion and LF absorption.

Some things to think about . . .
I did ask Rives, and he was not offended at all. An explanation ( my understanding) is that I have three in-wall
speakers in the front wall, which effectively prevents hemi-cylindr. diffusor to be placed in the center.
With respect to Skyline vs. QRD, his explanation is that Skyline performance is just better.
I've also seen Rives designs with two hemi-cylindrical diffusors behind the speakers, but I didn't insist on having those included in my design.
I suspect, they do choose treatments, based on the level of service one orders. Level 1, which I did, presumes less expensive solutions, and levels 2 and 3 would implement more sofisticated, hence more expensive design elements.