Best way to save cd collection?

Need advice on how to save my cd collection to a lossless format and play on my stereo system. Can someone give me a very, very simple explanation of what equipment and/or software I need? Keep in mind that I'm computer challenged. I have an iPod and would consider buying a DAC and Wadia docking station. Would also consider buying a laptop computer if necessary and "streaming" the music to my sytem. My goal is a simple, inexpensive approach that doesn't compromise the quality of the music. Have I mentioned that I'm computer challenged??
rockyboy
I've had an opportunity to talk with Walter at Underwood HiFi. Super nice gentleman who took the time to explain things in terms I could understand. I'll probably take his advice and get the modified ZP-90 and modified PS Audio DAC.
Shad,
The most stable form of storage would be RAID 5.
The data is spread to 5 or more HDs and checksums also. So, in the event a drive dies you can replace it and the new drive will be reconstructed from the other 4, just takes time.
The only way to loose the works is if the whole thing gets zorched.
I would also be interested in the experience of those who have made the obviously wise transition to non-cd digital storage. A quick review of the forums at computer audiophile reveals a potpourri of choices to be made; not only for storage of existing cd's but downloads. There are questions as to whether to use media monkey, itunes, foobar 2000 etc and what is truly lossless. Similarly there is the discussion on Lynx cards, firewire / async USB, and of course the biggy - Mac vs PC. Would be interested in hearing what people who are using such systems have discovered and what you are using. Particularly important is that the transfers - downloads etc are truly lossless no quality is sacrificed.