Need help finding cause of hum

I'd appreciate input on something I just noticed. The right channel of my system is producing a very soft, low level (low db) hum right on power up and with the volume all the way down. It's only noticeable with your ear an inch from the midrange/bass driver. It doesn't change level if the volume is increased. It is not audible when playing music. It has done this with 2 different amps (1 brand new). It does this whether or not input sources are connected. It does this whether the ground between TT and phono-pre is connected or not. When I switched the left speaker/cable to the right amp output and right speaker/cable to the left output - the hum moved to the left. So I thought, hmmm, problem with amp. But it is now doing this with a brand new amp. When I reversed speaker placement (Right to Left & Left to Right) - cables staying in place - the hum stayed on the right coming out of what had been the left channel speaker. The hum is only heard on the right. The left is totally silent. I usually run the amp plugged into one wall outlet and other gear out of an APC H10 power conditioner plugged into a different outlet on that wall. I tried plugging the amp into the amp power outlet on the back of the APC but the hum remained. I tried plugging both pieces (H10 & amp) into the same wall outlet. The hum remained. I thought this might be some type of ground loop hum but from what I've read, it doesn't seem consistent. It is only out of the right channel and barely audible. It is more a curiosity than annoyance at this point but I am concerned about the possibility of some sort of induced, stray current causing damage. Any ideas you might provide will be very much appreciated.
128x128ghosthouse
Hi Dan -- That sounds like a tough one. If I understand correctly, the problem developed after a long period of use of exactly the same setup without any hum. Given that, and given the rest of your description, the one thing that comes to mind would be that the amp has developed a leakage path between ac neutral and chassis, within either a power transformer or a capacitor.

Not sure why only one channel would be affected, though, even if that theory is correct. But it seems to fit a lot of the other facts. Turning on the other amp would worsen the problem due to its current draw increasing the offset between ac neutral and ac safety ground (which presumably is tied to chassis). Lifting the ground on the humming amp would then let its chassis float to or toward the ac neutral potential.

Also, my understanding is that in general it is not a good idea to run a tube amp without a speaker load, which it sounds like you have done briefly while investigating the problem. It can result in higher than normal internal voltages, possibly over-stressing capacitors and other components.

Not sure what else to suggest.

Regards,
-- Al
Thanks Al, you're circuit skills and experience far exceed mine.

I think the hum has been there for a while. I tried just that offending amp alone. The hum is very faint, but still there. I've only introduced the second tube amp in the last week, so the warts are coming to the surface, so to speak.

The amp is ok for a while with no loads, which I have to do to bias the tubes. Open circuit inputs, however, could really be asking for trouble. ;-)

This is an older amp, no longer in production, so I hope it is a cap and not iron. Caps are easy, replacing some iron could really be an issue.

Thanks again,

DAn
Dan,

Most likely a power supply cap, especially given that its onset has been slow and insidious. Time to open the hood and check for bulges and leaks; I agree with Al on this and am uncertain why it would only affect one channel.

FWIW, I'm a strong adherent to grounding a system through one point only. Currently, that one point is via my power amp, though optimally the preamp (being the central nexus as it were) would be the best choice. Since I have no active device at the preamp position, and the phono stage floats, the power amp it is. Once ground potentials begin to compete, all hell can break loose.

-Richard
Hi Richard,

Hope you have been well. Yep, I agree on the grounding. My ground is usually through the amps as well. Adding this second amp has turned out to be a chore. The new one even sounds different so I have to get in there at the coupling caps anyway. I'll give all of the caps a check.

Thanks!
Al, Thanks. I will look into shorting plugs.

Dan, Hope you figure out what is going on with your system. In my case, the hum is there with the input on amp switched to CDP. I also hear it with the input at position 2 which is not occupied by any source. Finally, I can hear it with all input cables to the amp disconnected. For me, fortunately, it isn't an obstacle to listening to music. Just something that didn't seem right and which I hoped to correct, if possible. Not so easy, perhaps!