AC Power Cord Wire Gauge

I guess this is a two-fold question dealing with the amount of AC power flowing through normal - that is, not special 20 amp dedicated lines - 15 amp house circuits. I'm guessing that these lines use 14 gauge wire, with a 15 amp breaker, to say a duplex receptacle. One conversion I read is that 15 amps X 120 = 1,800 watts. So, the first question is: If you plug a surge protector/power strip/power conditioner into one outlet in the duplex receptacle and then plug, say, four audio components into that "power strip" can they draw the full complement of AC power available (i.e., the power isn't split between the two outlets in the receptacle)? If you plug another component into the other outlet does it reduce the power available to the "power strip"?

Second, if the house wiring to the duplex receptacle is 14 gauge from the electrical panel, does it make any difference if you buy heavier (say a 10 gauge) after-market audiophile power cords for the audio components? Or, would a 14 gauge cord - the same gauge as the house wiring - be sufficient? Can a 10 gauge cord flow more power than is available through the house wiring at 14 gauge?

Thanks.
kencalgary
Post removed 
Re question 1: Assuming the house was wired properly, the only constraint for what is connected to a 15 amp branch served by a 15 amp breaker is that the total current drawn by all devices that are plugged into all outlets on that branch, and all devices such as overhead light fixtures that may be wired to that branch directly, should be less than 15 amps. So, yes, if you plug additional components into the other outlet the power that would be available to the strip would be reduced correspondingly.

Re question 2: The current drawn through the component power cord is determined by the internal design of that component, with minor variation depending on the exact line voltage. As long as the house wiring and the power cord are of sufficient gauge to conduct that amount of current, meaning that they have low enough resistance to prevent significant voltage drop in the wiring and power cord themselves, there will be no difference in the power supplied to the component either way. If some listeners are able to perceive a slight sonic difference between the two cords, it will not be because of the difference in gauge (provided, as I say, that the gauges of both the house wiring and the power cord are adequate for the current draw of the component(s)).

Regards,
-- Al
Some very smart individuals with electrical engineering backgrounds will make compelling arguments in favor of using the same gauge wire in power cords as that which is in your walls because from an engineering standpoint it makes sense to do so. It will be very difficult if not impossible to fault their position.

Tvad -- I have an electrical engineering background, and some people consider me to be very smart :), but I for one do not make that argument, and do not see why "from an engineering standpoint it makes sense to do so."

Best,
-- Al
Tvad, I would like to add that I'm finding - being a newcomer - that there are many very smart individuals on this site, whether they have electrical engineering backgrounds or not. Thank you both for answering my questions. I think I now know much more about electricity - at least this area - than before. All the best for the holidays, Ken.