What exactly does "Hospital Grade" mean?

I plan on changing my outlets since it seems like a cheap enough tweak and most here on the forum agree that it makes a difference. But what actually IS the physical difference between hospital grade and non-hospital grade outlets?
studioray
Albertporter...Of course a tight grip would be important for a heavy PC, but the "Hospital Grade" designation does not seem to offer this feature any better than commercial grade (as you note).

When I was involved with heavy (64-pin) connectors and cables we usually provided for strain relief support of the cables, even though the connectors were a locking type.
It seems to me that, for some of the audio equipment power cables I have seen, reliance on the simple 3-pin outlet would be unacceptable no matter how tight the grip. There are readily-available 3-pin plugs (and sockets) that twist to lock. These are, I think, used for higher amperage 220 volt applications, and I often wonder why audiophiles have not discovered them.
">>Reading it I notice that "Hospital Grade" means it has certain characteristics, like tolerance of "Abrupt removal" (yank the wire) which are probably important in the Hospital environment, but which IMHO are not relevant to the outlets we use for audio systems."<<
[Eldartford]
===========
Probably true.

Different Hospitals may have differering standards for what they require for the contact pressure of a hospital grade receptacle. One hospital that I know of in particular in my city, their Bio-Med department, requires a minimum of 4 ounces of resistance when removing a plug from an electrical outlet. By the way the only two manufactures of hospital grade outlets the hospital specs in any new installations or replacements is Hubbell and Leviton.

Key word resistance, contact pressure.
==============

On another forum, Audio Asylum, a non hospital grade receptacle that is spoken of very highly is the Hubbell 5362 (5-20R) receptacle. A non plated brass contacts with a brass non plated receptacle supporting yoke, strap.

Another recommended Hubbell receptacle is the HBL8300H (5-20R) receptacle. Again non plated brass contacts and a brass non plated supporting yoke. Buy the way this is the receptacle that Albert Porter uses in his Cryoed
"Porter Ports".

I presently am using the Leviton 20 amp hosp grade outlets which I think sound very good. The Leviton outlet uses non plated brass contacts, but unlike the Hubbell outlets I have described where the Hubbell uses a brass supporting yoke, the Leviton uses a steel supporting yoke. Magnetic material.... I have read many negative comments in regards to a steel supporting yoke, strap.

So now I will buy the HBL8300H and the 5362 Hubbell recepts and find out for myself.

What is the rave out there now, the best outlet?
Many talk of the Oyaide SWO-XXX
http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/oyaideoutlets.htm
There are readily-available 3-pin plugs (and sockets) that twist to lock.
I use exactly that for my 240 volt connections and have for several years.

However, some aftermarket power cords void warranty if modifications are made, and if wired improperly could cause damage to your equipment or your home.

The 120 Volt Hospital grade sockets I provided a link to as well as other aftermarket high quality outlets conform to roughly the same size specifications (fit in existing box) and wire identically to common household outlets.

In other words, a heavier, higher grade product in the wall that requires no modifications to existing male plugs.
It means it can be used in ares where there are flameable materials. Supperior contact and will not provide a spark if pulled from the outlet./
it means that they are of such quality that the sonics from the ventilators, monitors and defibrillators are first-rate. at least that's what i hear after my 14th day in a row.