Perhaps we should stick with midfi...

I just bought a $60,000 system with big names like krell, Audio Research, Mcintosh, B&W 802 D speakers, Sony SACD, Transparent wires, etc, and I get more enjoyment from my sub $1000 I put together used with ADS speaker, NAD monitor pre amp, Onkyo Integra M-504 power amp, Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player (as CD and DVD).

I am thinking I should have stopped with my midfi system now...

Anyone else have similar sentiments, or is my ear not golden enough to hear the difference yet?
gonglee3
Try some other cables and see if that fixes the problem. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Obviously, though, the more you spend on a system, the higher your expectations will be.
08-15-10: Rlwainwright
Maybe I'm wroing, but I smell troll...

-RW-

08-15-10: Daverz
I don't believe it, either.

If you look at all his systems he has, none of them have the higher end equipment that he mentions. Mmmm.....
Definitely a troll. Most of his equipment listed in his four systems is bargain bin and EBay deals. He mentions things like "bright and airy highs", "nice boomy bass" and "amp has no highs and lows". He raves about a $79 Sony sub. So, do you think a guy with a house full of yard sale finds is going to go out and blow 60 large on Krell and Macintosh? Not unless he hit the lottery and someone talked him into it. Judging from his system comments he would be perfectly happy listening to a boom box.
In all reality,an upgrade of a component should be just that.We should hear an improvement that makes us happy.If we get the opposite,we should resell it.That is what Audiogon is all about.A component may sound great in someone else's system,but not ours.Of course the opposite is true also.We shouldn't end up with a poor sounding costly system if,each piece we upgraded was listened to carefully, then decide whether it's a keeper or not. Carefully done,I don't see how someone would end up this way,unless buying higher priced components first,then listening to them later.If you don't hear better sound when upgrading a component, its not an upgrade(to us),even if the component cost more.
So what is the definition of low fi, mid fi and hi fi? Where do they fall in the wallet?