The Single Piece That Started Today's HIGH END ?

I have no idea myself but it has been suggested that it may have begun in the mids 1970s, with a Mark Levinson preamp. It apparently cost more than anything anybody ever concieved a piece audio gear could cost before. It may have simply been here since the start of McIntosh (1949) which was always a more expensive and exclusive brand. What are your thoughts?
mechans
Not so much a philosophy as a vision of what could be accomoplished. Without question, Nelson Pass has been a visionary in the arena of high end audio since the mid 70s. Few are his peer,period. Remains dedicated to two channel audio and continues to push the audio envelope to loftier heights with each design. His gear sounds the way it does, because in all reality he is a Physicist, not an electrical engineer.

Pressed to mention one piece that started high end,I would have to say the Threshold 400A. Was present at its debut. Few products have a mesmerizing effect on people,but I remember that night very well some 28 years later. All who were present were just stunned by the sonics of this amplifier, beliefs were truly shaken to the core that night.One would had to be there to see the expressions on the audiophile faces that night. That period of time when solid state finally delivered the promise that had been expected. In fact a week later I bailed out of all my tube gear and went with Threshold and haven't looked back since. I was already 20 years into this hobby and was probably getting ready to leave it,when the Threshold debuted. Been firmly entrenched in the Nelson Pass camp ever since.

But no doubt in my opinion of 48 years in this, the debut of the Threshold 400A, was a pivotal moment in audio. With the introduction of Threshold, Nelson Pass not only raised the bar of achievement but clearly redefined the role of audio components. And in doing so created a dimension that was to become as we now know High End Audio.
I'd say somewhere in the 50's with the introduction of the Quad ESL 57's. Next thing to really rock the hifi-world was the introduction of the Philips CD100 in '81 ('82?). The Meridian remake (MCD100) showed that CD wasn't as perfect as everybody claimed it to be. Just my 2 cents though.....
The original Quad brand amp/speaker combination provided a naturalness & clarity for all to emulate.