beethoven piano concerto

Recently listened to Lang Lang's recording on Beethoven piano concerto 1 and 4 and liked the music a lot.

Can someone suggest some good recordings that excel both in sound and performances? LPs would be great but CD/SACD/hi-res files are welcomed too.

Thanks
128x128glai
There 9 Gilels versions of the 4th out there, per the current issue of Fanfare magazine.
Thanks guys. So far my fav are No 4 and No 1.

Re Alfred Brendel set, it seems to be recorded out of phase. I switched polarity and the sound is more focused. Highs and lows are more defined and instruments are more easily localized. I am also experiencing the same thing with the Oslo Vanska Beethoven symphony SACD.
i'd also highly recommend Wilhelm Kempff/Paul van Kempen/BPO (DGG 1957) for LvB's Piano Concerto cycle. it's another mono recording (as Gilels/Ludwig/Philharmonia Orchestra), but the performance is simply spectacular.
I have the Kovacevich version, and while the performance is truly great and it is a very good recording, it still sounds a little bit like its age. I am also looking for a newer version at that level of performance or better, but that is audiophile quality on CD.
try Rudolf Serkin/Rafael Kubelik/Bayerishchen Rundfunks LvB piano concerto cycle (Orfeo 1977). nice (stereo) sonics & performance (but not as special as my other 2 recommendations).

other LvB piano concertos cycles which aren't quite as "moving" (for me) include Maurizio Pollini/Claudio Abbado/BPO (DGG 1992/1993), Vladimir Ashkenazy/Georg Solti/CSO (Decca 1995). also hv a bunch of other "non-full-cycle" of LvB's piano concerto recordings (on LP & CD).