Man in need of new music

All audio enthusiasts (OK, audiophiles) recognize that recording quality makes as much difference as component quality. I have eclectic tastes in music, and I would like to explore classical. I know NOTHING about classical music. I would like to buy a SACD, CD or LP that is well recorded (i.e. SOUNDS TERRIFIC) as an intro to the genre. I would like something with a lot of dynamics; percussion, violin, piano... things that will make my coveted components shine! Recommendations welcome. Thanks.
klipschking
Erndog, I like the way you think. Newbie, middle-bie or oldbie, you just can’t go wrong with Rachmaninoff! I’m particularly fond of Piano Concerto No.3 performed by either Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence and/or Van Cliburn on Living Stereo - both SACD.
Hi Klipschking - I would second the recommendation to go to some concerts live in your local area, especially if you happen to be in a major metropolitan area that has lots of offerings.

That said, I think Mozart is the best place to start, particularly if you want to try opera - Don Giovanni or the Marriage of Figaro, to name a tragedy and a comedy. Or try any of his last three symphonies, 39-41, or some of his piano concerti. Alfred Brendel has recorded most of them on the Philips label, and the ones printed in Holland have good sonics (LP here).

Especially in classical music, the best performances are not always on the best sounding LP's. Take Angel, a label many audiophiles avoid because of it's varying quality. They had so many great artists on their roster that those folks are really missing out on some incredible performances. I will always take a great performance on a not as good sounding LP over a great sounding LP with a mediocre performance.

Anyway, I mention opera because full scale opera will stretch your system's capabilities like nothing else. Another good opera to start with would be Bizet's Carmen. There is a recording of this with Marilyn Horne in the title role with Bernstein conducting, on the Deutsche Grammophone label. This LP box set has incredible sonics, and the performance matches them as well.

I would also warn you that once you start listening to some full scale classical music, you may find that you have some weaknesses in your system you didn't know were there before....
Another good opera to start with would be Bizet's Carmen.

If you have to go Opera, Carmen is hot! I like Leonard Slatkin and the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra on SACD.
If you try Opera, make sure you get the 'highlights' version. So much of opera requires you to actually SEE it to appreciate it. The highlights will give you the 'good parts' without all the stomping around on stage.
Following up on my earlier post, it looks like the Chesky CD I had suggested is out of print, but it is offered by a number of sellers at Amazon. IMO it is well worth the high prices being asked, especially for those that are offered in "used/like new" condition. It is an amazing recording.

Isochronism, thanks very much for your comment.

Best regards,
-- Al