Melody Gardot in concert she's in Seattle 6/19

Melody Gardot played Portland's Aladdin Theater last night, and her performance was nothing less than jaw-dropping. I've been a fan since hearing two cuts from her album in a New Years Eve countdown of the year's best releases on Portland's KMHD, but nothing could have prepared me for the power of her live performance. Twelve or fifteen songs from her two releases, most of which were done in a completely different style from the albums, and a band--drummer, bass, and a sax/flute player--with an astonishing range. THE most remarkable combination of vocal talent and songwriting ability that I've yet enountered.

Waiting for my wife outside the theater after the concert, I watched people come out of the theater in near disbelief: did we just hear that? Most concerts you come of of, people are talking afterward about where to go for a drink. The people I saw were all talking rapturously about the performance they'd just seen. Seattleites out there, do yourself a favor and get to the Moore Theater tonight. I'm sorely tempted to get on the road and see her a second time.
stewie
Thanks for the corrections. All I can say is that Anthony Branker must have a fine program if he's producing the likes of Staab and Hall.
Another extremely promising graduate (in 2008) of Branker's program is Julia Brav, who has been studying with Joanne Brackeen for several years.

See this performance of a quartet she is part of.

I find the upcoming young jazz players now in their mid-twenties to be incredibly inspiring. Other examples include the members of Gerald Clayton's trio, bassist Linda Oh, the Le Boeuf brothers, Pascal and Remy, pianists Aaron Parks and Taylor Eigsti, and drummer Ted Poor (a recent Eastman graduate). There are many more.
BTV,
Thanks for the additional recommendations. I like the younger crowd too. I'm also mightily impressed by the stuff coming out of eastern Europe and the netherlands that's recorded on ECM. I know that the likes of Diana Krall and Wynton Marsalis are immense talents, but I don't find myself going back to their music much.
See the review here.

It's not a particularly good one, but it confirms that Irwin Hall was the sax player that night.
From Stewie:
Twelve or fifteen songs from her two releases, most of which were done in a completely different style from the albums, and a band--drummer, bass, and a sax/flute player--with an astonishing range.
If you haven't seen the following two videos before, you really should see them now. The supporting players, again, are two young musicians in their twenties, from the U.K. and Germany (I think), who have also joined Melody on several of her spring 2010 dates.

"Get Out Of Town" and "I Love Paris" at Olympia (Paris)
"La Chanson des Vieux Amants" (Jacques Brel) at Olympia (Paris)

In April she also did a somewhat different arrangement of Cole Porter's 'Get Out of Town' for a BBC Four Sessions program in London, accompanied by a guitarist and Irwin Hall on sax. This performance was on YouTube for a while, but has since been removed.

Perhaps some of these covers will appear on her next album, on which she has apparently begun working (according to a couple of her posts on Twitter).