Book on jazz

Just finished a book called "Jazz, An Introduction to the History and Legends Behind America's Music", published in 2007. Author is Bob Blumenthal. Fantastic read. The names and artists mentioned and discussed are almost endless. Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong, Coleman Hawkins, Charlie Parker, Cab Calloway, Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Miles of course, John Coltrane, Jackie McClean, Ornette Coleman, Horace Silver, Eddie Harris, Grover Washington Jr, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard, Crusaders, etc. From Ragtime/Dixieland to Swing to Cool to Bebob and Fusion is explained. It becomes so clear how we got to where we are today and why when you see how one period transitions to the next. Magnificent.
pdn
Blumenthal wrote a music column for the Boston Globe for many years (and may still be a columnist with the Globe). He has also written liner notes for a number of the Mosaic boxed sets and other jazz releases. He is a magnificent writer as Pdn notes and he has an appreciation for a wide spectrum of jazz ranging from the electric Miles and Ornette Coleman to Louis Armstrong.
"Jazz" is my favorite Ry Cooder album, The cd sounds really good also. I portrays pre Louis Armstrong styles and is a great listen on its own merits. I love it. If you are interested in the origins of jazz or just want to hear something different, this is not demanding, just great music.