What is the Audiogon of music instruments?

I'm looking to find some instruments.
veltraz81
Funny how opinion is divided here. I am NOT a professional (far from it), but I would note that:

A LARGE percentage of super high end guitars are purchased sight unseen because they are custom ordered - via telephone and/or internet (even though this is conceptually different than what's been discussed here). Most of the boutique luthiers sell the great majority of their instruments to pros in this fashion. From conversations with more than one of the jazz-box crowd, I've gathered that 3/4 or more of their output commonly goes to pro players that they have never met.

Also, note that Benedetto runs Bob's Boutique on their website- finished inventory at 20% off list. They've told me that a fair bit of this stuff goes to pro players, too, and that IS what we're discussing here. I guess that there is divided opinion in the pro community as to the wisdom of buying on-line.

BTW, these marvelous instruments often turn up for re-sale on sites as pedestrian as e-bay. This economy has hit a lot of professional musicians hard and asset sales have become a life line for many. Just search for Monteleone, Benedetto, Buscarino, D'Aquisto, D'Angelico, etc. and you will find some of the greatest jazz instruments in the world listed for sale - at prices that run well into 5 figures, as expected.

My only advice - if you do buy on e-bay, know exactly what you want and know who you're buying from. Also, make sure that you can return the item - generally SOP.

Marty
Sorry, I stated that "most" boutique luthiers sell this way. I should have said most of those with whom I have discussed this subject (a much smaller subset) sell this way. Didn't mean to overstate.

Marty
Thegearpage.net is the one. Just as addictive as audiogon, but for musicians (and particularly guitarists).
Frogman: I don't think we'll ever get an accurate answer for who is worse - musicians or audiophiles. They both run the gamut. I agree with your statement about "the value the quality and soulfulness of quality, old instruments." But the majority of instruments out there do not fit that description - just like the audio world - most homes have some cheap junk or mediocre passable gear - one out of a hundred homes has something really high quality. And as for electric guitar players like myself (probably the most common instrument there is - I have 8 or 9) I know amateurs who have 20-30, we are probably worse than any other breed - restless, always tweaking, upgrading tubes, pickups, speakers, distortion pedals, you name it. If I ever do get a soulful old quality instrument I promise to hold onto it!