When will rap music be less mainstream?

First time I heard MC Hammer’s song many years ago, I like the rhythm and thought it is quite unique. After that, all kinds of rap music pop up. I never thought rap music would be mainstream for such a long time in US. If you look at the music award ceremonies, you will find it being flooded with rap music. Sometimes I am not even sure rap can be considered as song because you don’t sing but speak. Now you start to hear rap music in some other languages like Chinese, Japanese and Korean that don’t sound good in rap format. It would be interesting to hear rap music in Italian.

Time will tell if a song is good or not. A song is good if somebody want to play it for their loved ones on the radio 20 years later. I can’t imagine someone will play a rap for their beloved one 20 years later. Just curious if any A’gon member keep any rap collection?

Besides rap, I also have a feeling that the music industry in general is getting cheesy now. American Idol show gets huge attention while lots of singers perform at the bar or hotel can easily sing better than the idols. The show also asked Barbara Streisand if she watched the show and who was her favorite idol. What do you expect her to answer? People said Justin Timberlake is very talented singer/songwriter. I know him because I saw lots of headshot of him on commercials and magazines, but can you name any popular/well known song from him?
yxlei
This thread has got too heavy - time for a joke:

Why do most Audiogoner's treat their music collection like candy?

A: because they throw away the wrappers!

ROFLMAO
Bongo -

Yup, lovin' "Carried to Dust" lately but "In the Reins" is never too far from the turntable. OT but whats in heavy rotation with you. I could use some good new tunes (as usual) hip hop to country.

As for the OP, I'd rather ask "When will LAME MUSIC become less mainstream" Not holding my breath.
I am actually quite surprised that there are so many audiophiles who would consider rap anything other than total garbage. The intellectual and emotive content seems fitting only for not very bright adolescents and criminal low lifes. I am surprised that it is being discussed seriously at all.
01-19-10: Chashmal
The intellectual and emotive content seems fitting only for not very bright adolescents and criminal low lifes.
Wasn't the same thing said about rock & roll and jazz by the musical intelligentsia back in the day?
Andrew

I like quite a few things at the moment:

Cold War Kids, Santa Ana Winds--one of the better bands from So Cal slip in a nice EP for the new year

Vampire Weekend: Contra--nice sophmore effort. Especially like the song and video for "Cousins."

The Throwdowns: Don't Slow Down. Maui's hottest band effortlessly mixes ska, punk, pop

The Union Line: winners of best live act in So Cal.

The XX: moody girl/boy songs from London trio.

Mos Def: Estatic: nice return to form for this Brooklyn based rapper

Excellent DVD: The Killers at Royal Albert Hall. Chock full of good songs, it makes the case that this band, along with Kings of Leon, are America's best live acts.