The great Soupy Sales died

In many ways , the performer who may have given me more enjoyment as a kid then anyone...completely irreverent and loveable at the same time
jaybo
http://www.tvacres.com/cats_puppets_midnight.htm

That's goes back further than Soupy. White Fang/Black Fang stuck, however my most primitive implant from early children's TV was also from the Andy Devine show: "Pluck your magic twanger, Froggy."
Dgarretson,

Now you've gone and done it. Now I just remembered a late night TV Horror Film Movie host from Parma Ohio called "The Ghoul" that I also laughed a lot at in the early 70s.

He also used to say "Pluck your magic twanger Froggy" and end his show with "Scratch grass and turn blue and stay sick!" He was a real hoot!

Also, in Detroit when I was a kid there was a horror movie host named "Morgus" with a show called "Morgus Presents". I am almost positive that would have been in the mid to late 60s.

Times were a lot different then.
In NY metro area the host was Zacharly and Creature Feature. I remember that guy's entertainments during commercial breaks through Ed Wood type monster movies. During The Blob he cut away to his studio, where he would massage and needle some jiggly 44DDD breast facsimile on a lab table. I guess that whole horror schlock meta-narrative reached its zenith with Mystery Science Theater 3000, but thankfully by then I was no longer 14.
soupy eating lunch...generally a sandwich and a glass of milk (with sound effects)...reading fairy tales with pookie and hippie acting them out behind him.....and the door to door salemman who tortured him in each show....someone get this stuff on DVD now.
I rememeber enjoying Soupy as a kid watching NY television. Years later, sometimes Soupy and Howard Stern shared the WNBC air waves. Sometimes there was trouble...