Some irrefutable truths about rock and roll

1) Robert Johnson invented rock and roll, and is the rightful King of it. Elvis Presley's title should be amended to "Poster Boy of Early Rock and Roll."

2) Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is infinitely better than the Rufus Wainwright version and is the definitive version of the song.

3) The Rolling Stones were and are the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll.

4) If it's too loud you are, indeed, too old.

5) The Stone Roses' self-titled debut is the best debut album ever in the history of ever.

6) John Mayer needs to stop that right now.

7) A good song is a good song, whether it's played on an Audiovox tape deck and a single factory speaker in a 1976 Buick Skylark or a complete Linn Klimax system.

8) A couple of Les Pauls, a Fender Precision bass, and a decent set of drums sound every bit as good as the most disciplined orchestra.

9) There is absolutely nothing wrong with having the occasional urge to crank "Hungry Like the Wolf" from time to time, so long as it doesn't become a habit.

Did I forget anything?

*yes, I realize everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
theraiguy
Nice work eee3

Jealousy
Rage
Ignorance

In hockey that would be a Hat Trick.

Game over Gretzky

PS
Is it Thanksgiving? I just carved another turkey.
04-04-09: Joeylawn36111
Just my opinion, but the Beatles are far from the "greatest" or "best" rock n roll band of all time. Most famous and influential? I'll give you that. But best ever? I was in the supermarket earlier this week, while "Eight Days a Week" was playing. The music didn't stand out, just the singing. And it sounded like "bubble gum music" to me - the sort of stuff 14-yr old girls scream at. Pink Floyd nukes the Beatles IMO.

Songs such as "Eight Days A Week" must be looked at in context; when they were released, what was going on musically, socially and many other factors. Many Beatles songs were ground breaking at the time, much the way Dark Side Of The Moon was groundbreaking.
My 13-year-old grandson likes them both. But as far as "old" music he finds interesting, the Beatles' catalog has much more to offer. I've watched him dig through my cds.
As much as I hate to admit it, Rock&Roll is primarily for teenagers.
Good point, Timrhu. The later Beatles stuff is much better that their early music.
If you're going to compare Pink Floyd to the Beatles, which is ludicrous to begin with, then you must compare them at similiar stages in their evolution.

For example, comparing "Eight Days a Week" to material from "Meddle" forward is really dumb. That's like equating "Arnold Layne" to material from "Abbey Road"

You don't think the Beatles are the greatest ever? That's your opinion but it goes against the grain of folks who know music, most notably the preponderance of major rock musicians and artists themselves.
Most influentual - and 'greatest ever' from that point of view - yes, but I don't like the Beatles.

(I feel exactly the same about Mozart. Endless gushing about how great the Beatles and Mozart are in their genres when I dislike both makes the dislike stronger.)

My quip about the Beatles near the beginning of this thread was mainly a joke - in similar vein to "Which Bond: Connery or Moore"....