Some irrefutable truths about rock and roll

1) Robert Johnson invented rock and roll, and is the rightful King of it. Elvis Presley's title should be amended to "Poster Boy of Early Rock and Roll."

2) Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is infinitely better than the Rufus Wainwright version and is the definitive version of the song.

3) The Rolling Stones were and are the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll.

4) If it's too loud you are, indeed, too old.

5) The Stone Roses' self-titled debut is the best debut album ever in the history of ever.

6) John Mayer needs to stop that right now.

7) A good song is a good song, whether it's played on an Audiovox tape deck and a single factory speaker in a 1976 Buick Skylark or a complete Linn Klimax system.

8) A couple of Les Pauls, a Fender Precision bass, and a decent set of drums sound every bit as good as the most disciplined orchestra.

9) There is absolutely nothing wrong with having the occasional urge to crank "Hungry Like the Wolf" from time to time, so long as it doesn't become a habit.

Did I forget anything?

*yes, I realize everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
theraiguy

Showing 10 responses by joeylawn36111

3) The Beatles were and are the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll.

There. Fixed #3....
Good point, Timrhu. The later Beatles stuff is much better that their early music.
Just my opinion, but the Beatles are far from the "greatest" or "best" rock n roll band of all time. Most famous and influential? I'll give you that. But best ever? I was in the supermarket earlier this week, while "Eight Days a Week" was playing. The music didn't stand out, just the singing. And it sounded like "bubble gum music" to me - the sort of stuff 14-yr old girls scream at. Pink Floyd nukes the Beatles IMO.
Most influentual - and 'greatest ever' from that point of view - yes, but I don't like the Beatles.

(I feel exactly the same about Mozart. Endless gushing about how great the Beatles and Mozart are in their genres when I dislike both makes the dislike stronger.)

My quip about the Beatles near the beginning of this thread was mainly a joke - in similar vein to "Which Bond: Connery or Moore"....

"Come Together" is another Beatles tune I would not sing to children. But there are literally dozens and dozens of Beatles tunes that you can.

I don't have kids, but it may not be such a bad idea, as the lyrics to that song are so silly that they may just get a good giggle out of it LOL....
Just read one of the best quotes about a Rock band (in this case Motörhead):

"Lemmy's(lead singer) stated aim was for the outfit to be "the dirtiest rock n' roll band in the world" and that "if Motörhead moved in next to you, your lawn would die."

LOL
Just read how Alan Freed indirectly influnenced the Beatles. He recorded a series of shows that had Little Richard and Chuck Berry for broadcast overseas on Radio Luxembourg, which could'nt be heard well in London, but came in really good in Liverpool.
One "irrefutable truth" of rock and roll we can all agree on:

Spinal Tap can't hang on to a Drummer for any decent length of time.

;)