the dead on tour again. ---two questions:

1) who is warren haynes?

2) what cities?
128x128rhyno
The difference between bands like the Allman Brothers (the last 8 or so years), Ratdog, Phil and Friends, and the likes of the Rolling Stones and The Who is that the former are jam bands where there is allot of improvisation and different song sets every night. I love the Stones and The Who but at this stage their live show is a little bit, well, old and irrelevant.

I saw the Allman Brothers in Atlanta a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. They had a couple of guest including Susan Tedishi, Derick Trucks wife, and a violinist from the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. It was an exciting concert full of surprises. You could tell that there wasn't allot of rehersal and the musicians were looking at each other to see what to do next all the while not missing a beat. They were both tight and loose simultaneously and having a ball. Musicians in these type of bands are melding improvisational jazz, rock, alt country and everything in between. I've been to my share of concerts of this ilk and I've seen a few stinkers. But for the most part, Ive witnessed some very creative musicians taking chances and making memorable and fresh sounding music.

These are musicians musicians and Jerry was at the top of the heap... just ask the likes of Dillon who once said that Jerry was his favorite interpreter of his songs or Eric Clapton who claims Jerry as one his favorite guitarist. Warren Haynes is well on his way garnering this type of respect from his peers.
Warren Haynes is the hardest working man in rock and roll. I don't think he ever stops playing whether it's with one of the Dead spin off bands, the Allman Brothers or his band Gov't Mule. Warren can play guitar and can sing, with a deep growling voice and an appearance like Pig Pen from the Dead (a little scary looking). I've seen Gov't Mule in concert several times and they put on a great show. He alone is worth the price of admission, IMO.
The Allman Bros. have always been a favorite of mine. Sadly, I never caught them with Duane, and the one time I actually got to see them (about 10 yrs ago) Gregg appeared to be in bad shape (and sounded terrible) and the show truly sucked. Fortunately, I later saw Gregg Allman and Friends in a small venue, and it was a fantastic show. I would go see the new Grateful Dead tour just to hear Warren Haynes, and consider the rest of the band a bonus. When do the tickets go on sale?
Rhyno,
You should run to your local record shop and buy at least one of the following:

Gov't Mule: self-titled 1st album
Gov't Mule: Life Before Insanity
Gov't Mule: Dose

Return home asap.
Pour your favorite beverage & hit play.