You favourite

I am becoming increasingly interested in music from different parts of the world. I listened to 'Baro' by Habib Koite from Mali on the Putumayo Label. The music is described as ambient, gentle, soothing, rhythmical, acoustic, and soulful and I couldnt agree more. Unique vocals too. I have quite a few albums from Putumayo, and enjoy them greatly.

What artists do you enjoy, and where are they from? What would you recommend trying?
mike60
One favorite? My favorites change all the time...

Currently, I'm enjoying a CD by a Japanese musician improvising on a 17-string bass Koto. It's called Seventeen, by Michiyo Yagi, The tunes are accessible, involving, and resonate unusual frequencies and timbres on my system. Tough to find, but a gem for the ears!

Michiyo Yagi
Seventeen
(Zipangu Products, ZIP-0019) (Japan) (CD)

Further review here: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=25002
I like to listen to Cesaria Evora. She is from Republic of Cape Verde. Great singer. I recommend her greatest hits if you want to have an idea of her style. I also enjoy Ibrahim Ferrer's recordings. He's from Cuba.
Yo Mike: Since you like the ambient, ethnic stuff, i think you would love Gigi. She's from Africa ( I forget which country), and is very rich and sounds great, too.
As far as I know, she only has 2 CDs out, so she should be easy to find on the web. I found her at my long lost love: Tower Records, at one their listening stations.
Sigh...........
I hope you find her. Amazing.
"Your favourite World Music artist"
I wonder what happened to my title. Half of it disappeared.