Robert & Alison-Raising Sand

I just got this gem on vinyl the other day and i must say its fantastic. Quite the combo doing what they do best!

Anybody else had the chance to listen to this yet?
Opinions?

Cheers
mariasplunge
Interesting string on this recording. I just picked this up and absolutely love it.

I had no real expectations for this disk and actually first listened to a copy on the crappy headphone set up at Boarders out of pure curiosity. Even under those conditions, I could tell that the material had been selected and recorded with care. When I looked at the case and it said "produced by T Bone Burnett", I thought, "Well Duh".

I find the mix of vocals when Krauss and Plant sing together really unique and surprisingly wonderful. I have to agree with Sfar above that the stylistic signature of this album - if there is one - belongs to Burnett and Ribot first, with Krauss second, and Plant third. Strangely though, I think Plant owns the actual performances. When he is singing I can't help but focus on his voice which comes off as subtle and richly textured. The earthy and bluesy flavor of the material serves all the artists well.

I can't speak for the vinyl release, but I find the CD version of this recording to be very good, easily in the top 15-20% in my collection in terms of sound quality. Not being up to the level of the live Union Station LP is a pretty high bar that not many recordings attain. So is the "Raising Sand" LP really poorly produced, or just not totally fantastic? As far as I can tell, Burnett is a production fanatic, and I think it shows on the redbook version of this recording with lots of depth, multiple layers of sound with timing and space there in spades. Perhaps not the blackest blacks between cuts though...

I love Zepplin, but I can see why hard core Plant fans might be disappointed with this record. If you know anything about Burnett or Krauss, I don't think this loping country and blues tinged album would be surprising except for how the end result hangs together and turned out much better than than most people would have thought. For some reason it reminds me of JJ Cale's debut recording "Naturally", and that's saying quite a lot.
I'm a BIG Led Zep fan( I was at the famous Madison Square Garden show )and, believe it or not, I really like the new Robert Plant -- Alison Krauss record. It's nice to see an old rocker come back and use his amazing voice for a new project like this. It's made me enjoy the old Zep stuff all over again, and it even prompted me to go out and buy "Mothership." We all get older, and it's great to see one of the best ever rock singers strut his stuff again. Good for you, Mr. Plant ..... And lovely job, Ms. Krauss.....BRAVO !!!.
Caught a filmed performance on the tube, something similar to Austin City Limits but I think performed in Memphis. It was hair-raisingly good, Mark Ribot really added some fire. I am more interested in Plant's recent solo effots than Led Zep, and think the voices combine very well.
Berkbob, if you're referring to "Crossroads," I caught that on our Music HiDef channel. I agree, it was very fine. I was quite impressed at how well all involved managed to recreate the acoustic ambience of the recording live on stage. I quite enjoyed Allisons reworking of "When the Levee Breaks." Everyone seemed to have had a great time together making music.
Knownothing, I have it on vinyl like I stated. I think it's well done and like a few others my appreciation for what this duo is doing grows. I think some folks dislike this album because it's not Plant being Plant or Krauss being Krauss. Outside of expectations, I do think it is recorded and mastered well and on vinyl, its a keeper for me.

Getting over the "easy listening" feel, well that may be another story. Like Olson said, its a fine winter morning listen, which I have plenty of here in Montana. Maybe thats why it resonates with me. That desolate alone sound.