Name your favorite sax solo.

My personal favorite is Coleman Hawkins playing over Mood Indigo on Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins (Impulse). Gotta be one of the best things ever recorded. Melodic, technincal, beautiful... He was awsome even when he was just mailing it in. You can never have too much Hawk!
grimace
Coltrane has a lock on the greatest (in my opinion), but if you're looking for a solo that stands out both musically and sonically, try Joe Henderson's amazing opening to "Ask Me Now" on MyCoy Tyner's "New York Reunion" CD (Chesky JD51). All alone, Joe opens the cut -- for a few minutes, it's only his sax, sometimes subtly teasing, sometimes fiercely punching.
King Curtis packed more emotion into Soul Serenade and Midnight Blue than anything I had ever heard. Made it cry, scream and moan.
Nice thread.
Lots of faves. Here's a few:
•Joe Henderson - on "Song for my Father", Horace Silver-Song for my Father
•John Coltrane - on "Naima", John Coltrane-Giant Steps
•David Murray - on "Ming", World Saxophone Quartet-Revue
•James Carter - on "Chasin' the Gypsy", James Carter-Chasin' the Gypsy
•Cannonball Adderley - on "Blue in Green", Miles Davis-Kind of Blue
•John Zorn - on "Beeroth", Masada - Live in Sevilla 2000
•Michael Brecker - on "Choices", Michael Brecker-Michael Brecker
•Pharoah Sanders - on "The Creator Has a Master Plan", Pharoah Sanders-Karma
•Art Pepper - on "Straight Life", Art Pepper-Straight Life
•Charlie Parker - "Salt Peanuts", Charlie Parker-The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever
Great thread. I've been banging my head all day thinking of additions from some of the great jazz LP's of all time. Then I decided to stay away from mentioning solos from any jazz pieces and concentrate on sax solos in other genres. There are simply too many great solos in jazz to even try to pick a half dozen or so to list here. Besides, is it really a solo when it's part of a lengthy improvisation? (Don't answer that). Then I came back to the thread to see what was up and I saw Steveaustin's posting of the Handy solo on "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" and I chucked my whole approach. That solo KILLS me. I can still remember the first time I heard it--my roommate in England played it one morning and I ended up late for work because I had to hear it like 15 times before I could leave the house. Sorry about the ramble...
I like the baritone sax solo in the metro in the movie 'Subway', called 'Song to Xavier'. Think it was played by Alain Guillard. Don't know if it was composed by Eric Serra - the person who scored the movie.