Radiohead's new business model:

Radiohead is offering downloads of their new album "In Rainbows" on their website. You name the price (including $0)
http://news.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/an-album-that-costs-what-you-want-it-to/
128x128nsgarch
Post removed 
I just heard about it 10 minutes ago. I think it will be interesting to see what happens in light of all the rights fiascos.

Arthur
It should work, particularly if they tie it in with a world tour. Big name artist like Radiohead, Rolling Stones, Prince, etc. can easily gross $100,000,000+. The album sales are just the teaser.

At a very different level in sales, although not artistry, I know that Jane Siberry has been doing the same for a few years. Touring and merchandising is where the money is for working artists.
NPR did a story on the band yesterday. Since most money goes to the record company, they will actually get to keep the product of their making. As '61 notes, most revenue comes from sources apart from record sales. Still, gotta hand it to them for bypassing the evil that is most record companies!