Was just Listening to Dan Fogelberg...

which certifies me as a mid-life-fogeylberg. :)
Man, did Dan have a stunningly clear voice, and I love the orchestrations he used.
Is there any artist similar to pursue? I lean toward smooth Jazz and instrumentals. However, I've always had an affinity for orchestrated (lighter) rock music. Artists I have enjoyed from my youth: ELO, Steve Miller Band, Poco, Alan Parsons Project, Fogelberg & Weisberg, Chicago, Moody Blues.
Projecting out 25-30 years what music in today's sound resonates with those artists? You know, good, clean well styled groups.
I'm guessing such a narrow parameter will be difficult to peg.
I enjoy Al Jarreau, George Benson. Lately have found India Aire.
I look for clean lyrics and great voices. Any high recommends? Any newer artists with great, clean, superb sound who can pack an orchestral punch? Or a vocalist who is in the light rock or smooth jazz vein?
I know I can spend hours upon hours searching online for leads, but a few quick comments here can get me going on this faster.
THANKS for your ideas!
douglas_schroeder
I highly recommend Bill Cantos' album "Love Wins" New standards for the new millennium. Amazing voice, clean, clear, original songs with great lyrics and some well known musicians in the mix. I was and am a Fogelberg fan. This is more keyboard oriented than Fogelberg's guitar but I bet you'll love it.
I, too, was just listening to Dan Fogelberg the other night. Perhaps one of the finest albums ever recorded' "CAPTURED ANGEL".

Unfortunately, there is a phase shift problem on the master tape. When listening to either the vinyl or CD on speakers, phase shift cancellation occurs, which makes the album sound "muddy", with a lack of highs. I was stunned the first time I heard this album through a quality headphone rig! Try it for yourself...be sure to turn off the "process" or "blend" switch on your headphone amp, if there is one. Then try listening to the song "The Last Nail" with the switch on...you'll definitely hear what I'm talking about!
Doug,

Forgot to mention Richard Marx . . . both his greatest hits compilation and his latest CD "My own worst enemy" will give you what your looking for.

Cheers,
Garry
Thanks all! I appreciate the leads! As my system has gotten more high end over the years I find that I'm listening to more vocals. I know there's dozens of superb artists to suit anyone's taste - it's just a matter of finding them.
I'm also open to suggestions of women artists; I've enjoyed Mary Chapin Carpenter, Carly Simon, Dido, Everything But the Girl, Randy Crawford etc. So, female artist suggestions also welcome! Thanks!
Patricia Barber, Martha Davis of The Motels, Carole Kidd, Holly Cole, Marti Jones (highly recommend Used Guitars--great sound), Suzanne Vega, Billie Holiday.