"new country" music recomendations please

I must admit to previously not being a fan of traditional country music. However, having recently heard, bought and become adddicted to Mary Gauthier's Mercy Now, and very specifically track one, "Falling out of love"(affectionately known as the piss song in our house), I am having a closer look.

I seek a similar style of parred back, raw, "story of lifes experience", with an edge, a poetic attack which I guess the piss song is in spades. I hope someone understands my drift. I would absolutely recommend one hears Mary Gauthier's track. There must be other similar artists out there with that special creative, edgy, poetic story to tell.

Thanks for your help in advance.
aer
Wooooh! such a huge reponse with so many artists to chase up. A great majority I have not heard of as down here in Australia country is not main stream, which will no doubt prevent me from seeing Mary Gauthier live as Agaffer recomends. We do have and love our own Casey Chambers, who is a great singer/song writer.

Once again, much appreciated, and as Tpy suggests, once you dig deeper past the commercial crap there is so much more.

Cheers and Christmas greetings and cheer to all at/on the 'Gon!!
Alan
Check out xpn.org.
This non-commercial radio station from Univ. of Pennsylvania specializes in music like you are looking for, and has had an impact on the careers of many artists. Their show, World Cafe is heard on NPR network, and many great artists mentioned above (including Kasey Chambers) have performed on the show. Cheers,
Spencer