who surprised and who disappointed

what artists, groups, etc.. (all types of music) surprised you at how much better they were in person than recorded, and vice versa...who disappointed you big time in person versus their recorded work?
desoto
In every case when I have had the opprotunity to hear live someone I have on recording and then go home and listen to their recording, the recording has always won, no question. While I have a great system, i think it has more to do with the PA that is omnipresent in most concert halls today. Th e exception is when I attend my local symohony orchestra which is unamplified- a rairity today except in the better halls.
The Grateful Dead! I didn't understand what the big deal was until I went to a show. Even if I hadn't eaten a bag of mushrooms and spent much of the time wandering around the bathroom trying to find my way back to my friends and our blanket I think it would still have been one of my most favorite experiences. Really.
Haha Kublakhan - that's funny. But I agree with you. And there is a great streaming archive of live Grateful Dead concerts at:

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Over 3000 concerts to choose from - make sure you listen to the good ones! Cheers, Peter