Vince Welnick R.I. P.

Tubes and Grateful Dead keyboard player died . He was 55. An unnamed source said it looked like a suicide. He had said the dead gig was the best musical experience of his career. Hired in 1990 he was said to be depressed by Garcia's death in '95. He never participated in any of the Dead reunion projects.He joins Keith Godchaux , Brent Mydland and Pigpen on the list of deceased Grateful Dead keyboardists. May the four winds blow him safely home.
jsonic
Stunning. I know Brent commited suicide, but I can't remember if Keith did or not, does anyone remember? Now I know Pigpen died of the ravages of drug and alcohol abuse, but I think the rest moght have all commited suicide. Kind of reminiscent of Spinal Tap, no?
Keith died as a result of injuries suffered in a car accident. Brent from a speedball overdose (never really determined as to whether or not it was intentional) Speculation is that it was. It took me a while to warm up to Vinnie on keys, but as time went on, I learned to appreciate his chops within the context of the music. He was a gentle soul.
"Gonna leave this brokedown palace...."
God speed Vince. You can rest now.
I also never really ''warmed'' up to Vince in the band. He just didn't seem to fit. The Grateful Dead after Brent Mydland passed really weren't the same band anymore.....it was like the fun had gone out of their shows. I really enjoyed them when Keith and Donna where there and Brent took the Band to a whole new level. Also, from my interest and reading about the Band....Ron McKernan aka ''Pig Pen'' never really got into the drugs as the other members did....he just really loved cheap wine !!! And a lot of it !!!!! It is too bad though.....about all of them in the position in that Band. There's only one original key boardist left from the Grateful Dead that is still with us.....Are you out there Tom C . ?????
I just read another report that Vince was only 51. If so it's even more tragic. I am a deadhead but can't get into anything after '76. To me that's when Jerry started to lose his voice. There are some exceptional 77 shows but I never liked Donna or any keyboardists after Keith. They lost the soul of the band when Pigpen died IMHO. Death Don't Have No Mercy on GD keyboardists.
Keith was a good fit as he could weave his piano in and out and all around Jerry's playing. However - to get Keith, you got Donna too. Every time she stepped up to the mic, I would get a cold shiver down my spine. To hear her at her worst, give a listen to "Steal Your Face". She does redeem herself some on "Blues For Allah". There were some magic moments for the band - especially the shows from May 1977. I would also say that the March 1990 run was very, very good, and Brent was probably at his best.
More to discover