cello music

I listen to mostly rock and Jazz...but I downloaded a song by Yo Yo Ma on Itunes just to check it out. I loved it. Can someone please recommend some vinyl or cd from this artist or other good cello recordings

csmithbarc
pick up the cd Appaloosa on critics choice. a classic acoustic rock band with guitar, bass, violin and cello. produced by al kooper, it was way ahead of its time. great songs too.
...Might want to try Erik Friedlander (Topaz, Quake or Maldoror). Same w/Vincent Courtois (Translucide or anything he's done w/ Louis Sclavis). Hanks Roberts and Tom Cora have put out some interesting stuff too.
The cello suites you are referring to were not simply 'inspired by Bach' as the album title misleadingly suggests, but were completely written by Bach, front to back. The title refers to a rather poorly cobbled together series of 6 pseudo-artistic documentaries produced for TV Ontario in the early 90's around J. S.'s Suites for cello solo. In spite of the dubious genesis of the recording, Ma's performance is marvellous and well balanced, tending towards the lyrical. For some contrast, try the staggringly dramatic rendition of the prelude and Allemande from Bach's 5th cello suite performed by Mistislav Rostropovich on EMI S 55365 2. If you were interested in hearing the same performed on double bass, give a listen to Edgar Meyer on Sony Classical SK 89183.
I recently discovered a very interesting Yo-Yo Ma recording of classic Argentinian Tangos composed by Astor Piazzola. I'll check the data tonight and will post here ASAP.
If you are not yet familiar with Dvorak's Cello Concerto, you should get this work a try. Ma has a couple of excellent recordings, but so have other cellists. My favorite, for the degree of mature artistry of the performance is perhaps Gregor Piatigorsky's interpretation on an dual layer SACD RCA Living Stereo remaster of a 1957 live event conducted by Charles Munch.
The most emotionally charge concerto for cello and orchestra I know is Elgar's cello concerto. I own both Ma's rendition and Jaqueline Dupree's. Ma is more controlled and Lyrical, Dupree more visceral and truly heart-rending.
Antonio Vivaldi wrote several dozens cello concertos. 28 of them have been recorded by Raphael Walfisch on naxos in 4 volumes. They are true jewels, at less than $7 per volume. See naxos 8.550907, 8.550908, 8.550909, 8.550910.
Highly recommend the Brahms Cello Sonatas with Yo Yo Ma and Emmanuel Ax.

The recording is on RCA. You can also get it through the Music Heritage Society and the BMG Music Club. The recording is from 1985 and has never left the BMG Club catalog in those 21 years. I think there is a remastered version as well.

I have the Mercury Starker Bach Cello Suites on CD. Very nice.