I think it is time to retire

Based on what my ears tell me the following should retire from putting out new material. Like great athletes (Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice, Jim Kelly etc.) who played long after they should have retired, these people should stop cheapening their great careers.

Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Donald Fagen, David Gilmore, Roger Waters, Elton John are some that come to mind. I would like to know what others think of these people’s efforts to keep it going. I would also like to hear of any additions to my list.

Thanks.
jjmali
Pete Townshend said it best in 1965.

"Hope I die before I get old!"

But...He didn't so he'll just

"Pick up my guitar and play just like yesterday."

So just lay off the old geezers. Buy and enjoy what you want and let them worry about their legacy.

The only road to eternal youth and greatness is death. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Buddy Holly, Kurt Cobain, and Jim Morrison will always be remembered as young and in their prime.

Unfortunately, the alternative is getting old and staying alive.
I think it is the ability of some of these guys to trot out some of their old work and some new stuff too, which marks them out as the true greats. If they only lived on their back catalogue, firstly they would probably go mad, but more importantly, would we be robbed of some wonderful live (if not quite as energetic) performances.

Just my 2p
The Sex Pistols were recently inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. Instead of showing up they sent a letter which basically said "bugger off. rock n roll is a dead art form. what's the point?" I would tend to agree. All the artists mentioned above had their pinnacles 10-30 years ago.

I have said before that the last great rock song written was "smells like tean spirit" and that marked the end of the rock era 10+ yr ago. Let's move on to something else. Beethovean ain't coming back. Neither is Lennon or Hendrix or Elvis.

(unpacking my flameproof suit...)
I personally wouldn't take what the Sex Pistols say or do seriously. They are basically a novelty rock and roll act.
The church bell tolls 12 times in Greenwich Village and it's May 24th, which means Bob Dylan is now officially at the "retirement age" of 65.