The Smiths. The Stone Roses. James.

Do many Agoners listen to any of the above? I am actually rether surprised to see that not one of them has really ever been mentioned. But, then again, I've not checked the archives. These three really are some of my favorite, great music, great lyrics (although carefull with some of The Smiths lyrics- they are often depressing-humouress-sarcastic-dark yet so darn real all at once.)

A great introduction to all three is as follows:

The Smiths- "The Smiths,...Best I" "The Smiths,...Best II"

James- "James, Seven" "James, Laid"

The Stone Roses- "The Stone Roses, The complete Stone Roses"

Yes, the recommended c.d.'s from The Smiths and The Stone Roses are 'best of,' but they really are excellent.

If you are a fan of Radiohead then you probably already know what I am talking about.
fotis_k
Have recordings by Smiths and Roses but am not familiar with James. Also solo albums by Ian Brown (lead singer of SR) especially Monkey Business (check out the bass on the track entitled Ice Cold Cube) and Music of the Spheres, both great well recorded albums.

Sometimes Morrissey's voice grates on me, but Louder Than Bombs is good.

And I am a fan of Radiohead too. But right now I am listening to Wes Montgomery, just had some major dental work and I need to chill.
Ahh yes...2nd night I've come on and didn't know what to listen too, thanks!

The Smiths...Panic, How Soon is Now?, This Charming Man

Stone Roses...Strange Love...

Great music, but I can't listen to it for a long time. Usually when I do, I listen to KoRn the next night to clear my system.
I own some of all those on vinyl. Just got done playing "Second Coming" by the Stone Roses. What a great guitar album! Cheers!
Wait! There's more!

What about Starsailor, Travis, The Music, Charlattans U.K.?
I really love the sound of this type of rock.
James not only has great lyrics and music, but their cd's are excellently recorded. The Smiths certainly stood out in the mid-80's with the wild morbid lyrics and voice of Morrissey, and the awesome guitaring of Johnny Marr.