What Was Thrown Off the Tallahatchie Bridge?

Think back, think way back... it's 1967 and the voice on the AM starts:

It was the third of June,
another sleepy, dusty Delta day.
I was out choppin' cotton
and my brother was balin' hay.

Midway through the song the preacher says the other day he saw a girl with Billy Joe throwing something off the bridge. What was thrown? Anybody from Choctaw Ridge have an answer?

BTW, the real Tallahatchie Bridge collapsed in 1972.
128x128onhwy61
Hey Onhwy -- I have never taken a poll, but I'll bet I am one of only a very few people here on Agon that has an original "Ballads of the Green Beret" LP by SSgt. Barry Sadler. As an impressionable 11 year old, I was pretty much vulnerable to the progoganda machine, and I bought this LP with my allowance when Ballad of the Green Berets was filling the AM airwaves ad nauseum. Ahhh...memories!
How about the money that the federal Govt. sent to Louisianna to fix those levies over the last 20 years? You don't hear abut that on national news.
Rec

Nice to hear from you Mr. Ebersol, how are things at NBC?

According to what I read, the winner of an auction to find this out had to sign a legal document that forbade them from disclosing the information. The winner was Dick Ebersol of NBC. Don't worry I doubt that Carly or her lawyers read these posts.

Her website has a whole series of interviews on the subject

http://www.carlysimon.com/vain/vain.htm
I remember when the song and movie came out and everyone thought it was either a ring or a baby, Bobbie Gentry never would say either way. As far as the Carly Simon song, I always thought it was Warren Beatty too. Kind of a sarcastic post Mr. Burke.