Scraping sound

I'm getting a scraping sound. This noise sounds like when the record is over & the stylus scratches the label. The scraping sound is most pronounced between cuts but can be heard underlying the music.

Where do I begin looking to fix this?

The setup: VPI Scoutmaster & arm with Soundsmith Zephyr

Thanks
maxh
Bill_K,

After I typed out my response, I looked at your reply again and thought I may have read your post wrong. I don't see how the platter bearing could cause a scraping noise like the OP describes. (I'm not saying you are wrong. I may be overlooking something.) On my VPI's, there's no grease but they do have a light coating of oil. I find that if I don't clean it, things like dust and lint stick to it. The design of the arm is so sensitive, I thought a little dust may knock the cart out of alignment.
The back of the cartridge is scraping the record.
The arm is a VPI JMW 9t.

Any suggestions about the best way to remedy this?

Thanks
How long have you had the cartridge? The suspension may have collapsed. If so you will need to send it back to Soundsmith.

Or you may just need to raise the arm up further if the suspension is ok. Is the tonearm level when playing a record? If not is the back of the tonearm higher or lower than the front?
The best starting point is a cartridge that is parallel to the record surface. The suspension on the cantilever should hold the stylus at the proper angle if VTF is within design parameters. From that point, you can adjust the back of the tonearm up or down a degree or two to fine tune the VTA for best tracking and groove noise. If, however, the tonearm is dragging on the record surface, then you may need to add a shim to your cartridge in order to raise the back of the tonearm without changing VTA. Shims with varying masses can be found for sale on the web and possibly even one design dedicated to the phono cartridge that you are using. You might also find that you can raise the back of the tonearm up quite a bit and not cause the VTA of the cartridge to go too far in the other direction. I think that is because of how the stylus fits into the groove as it rotates. So the front of the cartridge will rise up as you lift up the back- if the stylus was lying down so to speak in the groove to start with. Don't forget to reset your Horizontal Tracking Angle (Tangent Point) It will change as you adjust your tonearm up and down. So you have to move your tonearm out as you raise the back of the tonearm.