Inner groove "Rumble"

All of a sudden, I'm hearing a weird "rumbling" once the stylus reaches the last inch or so of a record. There has been no sudden "trauma" to my table or tonearm. The first 80 % of each LP side still sounds absolutely fine. Any thoughts as to what's happening here ?
adam18
Adam what tonearm do you have, the rega I had used a magnet to control the anti skate. For me it happened like you say...all of the sudden. The further into the outer grooves the arm/cartridge rode it started making a distorted sound and then would actually jump backwards a bit. I thought it was an A/S problem and could never solve, it also did not do it on every album but did on most.

I made several adjustments to the arm and could never solve the issue. I moved on to a new tonearm and cartridge so I do not know positivly what the problem was...even though I suggested it is a cart problem above for you, I am fairly certain my problem was with the tonearm and most likely A/S...
Adam just jumped to your system page...nice! But I do see you are using a reba 301....do you have another cartridge you could try out?
Hi Pops.. First of all ... Thanks a lot for your compliment on my system.
No, I do not have another cartridge. The Exact 2 and RB-301 were bought together with the table. But I will follow your suggestion and try to adjust the anti-skate a bit. I'll keep you posted as to what happens.
phono preamp as it ages becomes more sensitive to styli or vinyl surface imperfections and passes rumble.
Marakantz, With much respect, your last statement is a doozy (not a Deusie). Can you say why that would be? Would you say that the converse is true: a new phono stage is less sensitive to rumble? I don't think so. But it does follow from your premise, which should indicate the premise is flawed.