AR the Turntable - worth it?

I have a line on a 1 owner AR the Turntable - it's totally stock.

I don't know very much about the AR line-up of TT's and this table in particular, except it seems to be well regarded as a performer. They can be modded a fair bit I understand.

Does anyone have this table? Impressions?
Or does anyone know more about the table and its performance capabilities?

Worth looking into???

I would need to establish market value also!

Thanks for your input.

cat9
cat9
As a grad student I worked part-time for a large snooty B &O dealer who sold MANY of their skinny -arm expensice TT's.
One day before work I brought my AR-XA with Shure 91-ed in, was a lot of surprised faces as it wiped those B&O out thru the K-horns .
I owned that very table, using a Magnepan Unipivot arm. Sounded great for years. If the price seems good to you, I'd grab it.
I ran a Merrill modded AR for several years with an Audioquest (Jelco)tonearm until I got a Merrill Heirloom. I bought it new stock and had it upgraded in stages by George Merrill. It was definitely a cut above the stock AR. It was a great table. IMHO opinion the AR even in stock form is a great option for a budget TT. You can always start with a stock table and upgrade through Dave at VN in stages if you like. If you can buy one even stock in good shape for under $500 you can't go wrong. These tables have more soul to me than the lower priced offerings of Rega and Music Hall et. al.

However, I have seen and heard George Merrill's new replica table and it is outstanding. It has many properties of the Merrill Heirloom and the Merrill Scallia MS-2. It is a great bargain and worth checking out.
Schubert, I had the same experience when my friend brought his new B+O pride and joy over. A musician (Rock/Stratocaster), he always liked listening at my place and wanted to try the B+O out there. Remember, this was then the late seventies. I probably wasn't even using a "real" cartridge, not to mention no knowlege of cables, etc. Just two poor factory worker kids that were enthusiastic about music. Back then we were listening to the Dead, Return to Forever, Allman Bros, etc. He couldn't believe the difference. B+O: thin and strident, almost unlistenable compared to the AR.
So Cat, as you can see, the praise here for the good old AR is unanimous. I still scratch my head when I think of how old this thing is and what it can do.
Hifiharv, just so ! I doubt if those B&O's reproduced anything below 80hz or so.Might have disturbed the Lawrence Welk set.