Recording quality by decade

As I've been listening to my records, a pattern seemed to emerge that prompted this question - did the recording technology advance significantly between the previous decades and the mid/late '70s? Most of the classic rock records I own pressed in the '60s sound like crap compared to the classic rock records recorded in the mid to late '70s.

My Cream, Doors, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, and Jimi Hendrix records, just to mention the biggest acts, sound awful compared to Pink Floyd, Foreigner, Supertramp, Kate Bush, Rickie Lee Jones, or Fleetwood Mac records I have that were released in the '70s (and '80s). There are arguably a few exceptions, such as good pressings of some of the Led Zeppelin records, but on average any record recorded and pressed in the '60s sounds just bad compared to most records from the '70s and '80s. All of the Cream records I have are just painful to listen to - muddled, veiled, flat, and essentially garage quality.

I understand I'm making a big generalization, but seriously, I can't think of one record from the '60s that sounds really good. This puzzles me as there is a plethora of superbly recorded jazz records from not only the '60s, but also the '50s. Has anyone else noticed this?
actusreus
Robsker,
I find many "modern" jazz recordings still maintain the natural position of the musicians.Verve Records for instance is consistent with this. There are exceptions of course.
Regards,
The late 70s was the pinnacle of hi budget, 24 track, pure analogue, major label recording...the music industry was making hand over fist then...so taking years to record an LP in a proper studio was not unheard off...RUmours, Hotel Ca, etc...unfortunately...around the corner was 80s gated drums, synths, and digital recording...it was a short lived era....but a high point in terms of 70s sonics....
The equipment available today allows a talented producer and engineer to make high quality recordings equal or better than anything previously done. This applies to both analog and digital and is particularly true if the goal is for a purist type recording. There is a greater availability of first rate microphones, recorders, consoles and outboard processors than ever before. There are reasons why current day recordings don't always sound very good, but it's not because of the lack of great sounding equipment.
Post removed 
Elizabeth, I must disagree with your comments regarding bass. One word: IN-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.