DACs With Killer Built-In Preamps

I see a lot of DACs with volume controls with the ability to act as a preamp. The Audio Research Reference Dac/Digital Media Bridge ($15k) has a volume control and a lot of innards of its Reference 5SE preamp...which makes for a very serious preamp section on that DAC.

Are there any DACs with voulume controls under $7k that can compete with top-tier preamps?
128x128mitch4t
Grannyring,
Your revised impressions over a long term listening period don't surprise me. I'm one of those who find systems with high quality active linestages sound more realistic and natural. You missed the full body that's present in live instruments and voices.
Regards,
Grannyring,
It`s interesting reading your post from 4/02/13 and then reading Tmorosk`s post on 4/03/13(5 of 6 listeners returning to an active linestage after a period of time). Long term evaluation impressions are valuable,the ear/brain can be fooled over the short term sometimes.I don`t doubt for a second that your sound is better with the Dude back in your system.Thanks for sharing this experience.
Charles,
Has anyone heard or listened to any of the NAD components i.e C390 DD - Direct Digital DAC Amplifier? Or their Integrated C375D Integrated with,"USB device side input for direct connection of PC or MAC?
Just curious as I was purusing their site looking for inexpensive integrated for bedroom setup - we all need some good Jazz in the bedroom for those stormy summer nights! Then I ran across their other devices - intergrated amplifier DAC. Ive yet to purchase a NAD of any sort as my money jar is being filled for a new Accustic Arts Reference STREAMER ES to play FLAC and other formats as I build an HD cateloug. The Dead's American Beauty from HDTracks sounds incredible and thats streaming apple lossless via Apple TV, Arcam R-DAC->Rotel pre/power amps->magnepan 1.6.. Id love to hear the FLAC version off foobar and jamcast.