Use of subwoofer with bookshelf speakers

I heard demonstrated a Pair of Canalis Anima speakers and they were awesome. I'm using full range speakers now (ML Odysseys) which have developed a significant problem and am considering purchasing these Canalis speakers when I can put together enough money to do so.

My question has to do with using these with a Vandersteen sub. Vandersteen recommends using this sub with speakers having effective capability down to 40 Hz. I think the sub has an upper cutoff of 250Hz. Will I be able to use them together and have an acceptably smooth sounding transition between them?
128x128broadstone
I'm really not familiar with Vandersteen subs, but it does seem odd that they would recommend their use only with speakers that are just about full range. 40hz is pretty low and in the borderline territory of not needing a sub at all or just occasionally.

Still, according to the specs on the speakers that you're looking at, it seems that you are right in the ball park.

I'd say, give it a try. In any case, I wouldn't buy speakers to fit a sub. I'd get the speakers that I like and then match a sub to the speakers.
Thanks, Tonyangel. I agree that Vandersteen's advice seems a little odd and that's what prompted my question. I think that I could live with the Canalis speakers by themselves because I am using my stereo system mostly for guitar music and light jazz. However, we do have our TV in this setup and we do watch movies and some of these need the lower frequencies for realistic sound. As far as choosing the main speakers first I can only say that I have made my choice in these by Canalis so, you're advice is appreciated.
Post removed