Speakers vs. headphones

OK, desperation is setting in (I'll admit it). I have a 12-by-13 room with 7-foot ceilings (carpeted room and acoustic tiles up top) and I've tried every speaker and sub placement imaginable for my very modest system (NAD 326 amp, Totem Mites, Velodyne SL-800 sub). Even without the sub, I can't get the sound to anywhere near what I'd like it to be. I had an even more basic system (NHT Super Zeros, Onkyo amp, M&K sub) in my old home and it sounded INCREDIBLE compared to what I have now. Like I said, I've tried diagonal speaker placements and everything else, including room treatments (panels on first reflection points – no bass traps yet, but it seems the problems go well beyond bass). The question(s): Is it time for headphones? Is it even possible to get decent sound in a room with these dimensions?
128x128jeddythree
Hard to enjoy great music with your friend(s) when wearing headphones. Part of my experience is listening with friends and enjoying together.

Also, grew up in a church where the 32ft. Bombarde organ pipe would literally shake and rattle the pews I sat in. Speakers and/or sub can reproduce this much better than headphones. Nice to feel the rumble in 5.1 home theater as well as 5.1 music.
I had a similar problem and tried tirelessly for 2 years to get my system sound as I knew it could. Changing speaker postioning, the orientation of the room... the trick that did it was to adress the mains with a Nordost qb8. I then realized how important a proper electric alimentation can be. The fault was not that of the speakers but the electronics. I agree also the sub is too much in such a room
I have a pair of Signet head phones I bought back in the 70s and they have always sounded better than speakers. I've had B&O,Klipsch and Polk, with and without subs and they still can't top using headphones. Just a thought.
It is a matter of taste, of course. If you want the most analytical detail, good headphones can't be beat. They also produce bass which is unaltered by room modes, thus often smoother and clearer in the bass. Speakers, by comparison, are much more expensive, require more space and fiddling. But a big, deep, reach out and touch sound stage and bone-rattling bass are too much fun. Unfortunately, you need EQ, good-sized and treated rooms to do it right.
Headphones take room acoustics out of the game and are the easiest and most inexpensive way to establish a good reference for listening to recordings on the smallest possible scale, as a start.