Conrad Johnson Upgrades - A difference maker?

I own a pair of Conrad Johnson's Premier 12 Power Amps. One is in for servicing and it was put forth that I may want to consider upgrading these units to CJ's Teflon capacitors.

If you have upgraded a CJ Power unit to Teflon capacitors, I would greatly appreciate your response on the difference it made.

Thank you.
rbschauman
The upgrade may make sense for you. The 12's, in their stock form, are very laid back. Much more so than a 60SE, or even a 55. An 11a is probably the closest in sound. Doing the caps may quicken the sound a bit, but I don't think thats such a bad thing given how they sound stock. I don't see you getting the amps back and they sound like a 60. Maybe like they used to but with a little more life to them.

Another reason that you might want to send the other amp in to CJ is to make sure they are identical. If it was my amp, I would have them "repair" the other amp so both amps have exactly the same parts in them, as well as the same age.

Anyway, its something to think about (or keep you up at night worrying.).
Randy,

Having the C1 Capacitor upgrade will make a significant difference in how well your Premier 12 amplifiers perform. I had the upgrade done to my Premier 140 and the change was not subtle. The 140 was introduced 10 years after the Premier 12 and did not have a "tubey" sound to begin with.

I also own the Premier 11A which is in many ways a stereo version of the 12 monblocks so I am familiar, to a degree, with your amps. After the modification, the 140 was more dynamic, detailed, with better extension at the frequency extremes. Soundstaging, another 140 hallmark, also improved. It is no slouch unmodified but the upgrade was an all around improvement to areas where I thought the 140 was already strong, especially in comparison to the 11A. The 11A is a "sweeter" sounding amp and extremely musical as I imagine your Premier 12 amps are.

You will, almost certainly, lose some of that sweetness should you do the capacitor change. However, in my opinion, the benefits will far outweigh that loss.

Just my 2ยข naturally.
Thanks Joe and ZD542 - I wish I could "A/B" this!

I trust that there would be improvements as you've put forth, it's just that I'm hung up on that lush "tubey" sound!