Searching for preamp upgrade

Hello all. I am hoping to get some good advice on a preamp upgrade, as, despite having all tube amplification, the sound is unbearably aggressive at realistic volumes. I have Soundline audio speakers (ribbon)--ultra-fast highs, bass a little boomy, Audio Research Classic 60--still love this amp, but it is a little stage forward for my taste, AR LS-7 (I think this is a big part of the problem), and an OPPO BDP-95. I am hoping with a switch to Hovland hp-200 or something similar and getting the classic-60 modified, I can do better. I also have a McCormack DNA1 deluxe I could use for the bass only. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed
edraffel
Thanks, Rklune for your response, I will definitely check that out. I am very happy with the OPPO, though, as I upgraded from (don't laugh) a CAL Icon MK II which by today's standards is a real dog, wouldn't wish it on anyone, though I will probably try to sell it here. The ribbons are so fast and unforgiving, somehow I feel I need to mate them with more mellow components, maybe SET's, or OTL's, or a nonhybrid preamp. But I will contact EVS to get more information. Thanks, Ed
Rklune,
Your advice is very good,start at the system`s signal orgin(source)in your chain of audio components. If the digital signal is compromised there are no changes to be made in downstream components that will undo this harm.At best they`ll just be partial band aid cover ups.Get the audio signal as high quality as possible.The function of the remaining components is to preserve as much as reasonable with minimal alterations.
Regards,
It sounds to me like your speakers are the problem. I usually never try and talk someone out of a preamp upgrade because most people don't realize how important it is for good sound. In your case though, you'll just be using it as a band aid fix, and to be honest, it probably wont work. Also, your Classic 60 may not be up to driving your current speakers.

Why not look at a speaker upgrade instead? If you like plainer speakers, a pair of Martin Logan's would probably make you very happy. The panels are not made of metal and there is no tweeter. They are the kind of speaker you can listen to for long periods of time with no fatigue.
The AR is indeed a bit clinical. A BAT might do the trick here, as would the Coincident Statement Linestage that I have.

Having said that, I tend to agree that the speakers may actually be contributing more to the problem. Ribbon tweeters can be very aggressive.

Finally, and perhaps more importantly, is the room acoustically treated? Wondering if side wall reflections are making things much worse than they should be.
Sell your Oppo and buy the new Cambridge Audio 752BD universal player. It use's five Wolfson DAC'S which are known for their warm rich, musical performance and are superior to the Oppo ESS Sabre32 DAC'S used in their audio output. The Wolfson DAC'S are more
relaxed and have a fuller, more organic midrange for musical playback.