Searching for preamp upgrade

Hello all. I am hoping to get some good advice on a preamp upgrade, as, despite having all tube amplification, the sound is unbearably aggressive at realistic volumes. I have Soundline audio speakers (ribbon)--ultra-fast highs, bass a little boomy, Audio Research Classic 60--still love this amp, but it is a little stage forward for my taste, AR LS-7 (I think this is a big part of the problem), and an OPPO BDP-95. I am hoping with a switch to Hovland hp-200 or something similar and getting the classic-60 modified, I can do better. I also have a McCormack DNA1 deluxe I could use for the bass only. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed
edraffel

Showing 2 responses by zd542

It sounds to me like your speakers are the problem. I usually never try and talk someone out of a preamp upgrade because most people don't realize how important it is for good sound. In your case though, you'll just be using it as a band aid fix, and to be honest, it probably wont work. Also, your Classic 60 may not be up to driving your current speakers.

Why not look at a speaker upgrade instead? If you like plainer speakers, a pair of Martin Logan's would probably make you very happy. The panels are not made of metal and there is no tweeter. They are the kind of speaker you can listen to for long periods of time with no fatigue.
"Sell your Oppo and buy the new Cambridge Audio 752BD universal player. It use's five Wolfson DAC'S which are known for their warm rich, musical performance and are superior to the Oppo ESS Sabre32 DAC'S used in their audio output. The Wolfson DAC'S are more
relaxed and have a fuller, more organic midrange for musical playback."

No offense, but that wont fix anything. A new CD player is not going to fix an aggressive sounding pair of ribbon speakers. Not only that, there is a lot more to the sound of a CD player than the DAC chips. The analog portion has at least as big effect on SQ as the digital section. If the speakers have to stay in the system, Wilsynet's recommendation of a preamp is probably the best place to start. I disagree, though on the BAT recommendation. It would definitely be a step in the right direction, but I would be looking for something a lot more forgiving. An old CJ PV 10 or 12, or maybe even a quicksilver line stage would be a better choice. After that, have a look at the amp. The Classic 60 is very good, but its probably working very hard to drive those ribbons.