Tubes/SS Power Amps?

I've only heard, auditioned, listened to top of the line tube amps; consequently, I don't know squat about top of the line SS power amps. My problem is "heat". If the SS gets hot, I might as well have tubes.

Reviews that I've read on top of the line SS amps, always mention the heat. Rather than have a SS furnace in my listening room, I'll go with tubes. By the way, I don't think there's much difference between tubes and SS amps when you have a tube pre; especially top of the line. I'm searching for an amp in the vicinity of 100 watts per channel with balanced inputs, preferably mono blocks. Cool running SS is what I'm looking for. Can you help?
orpheus10
I agree with those above who think that, even with a tubed preamp, a tubed power amp makes a necessary contribution. That said, we don’t all hear, process and evaluate music the same. If the differences between SS and tubes aren’t discernible to you (which is fine - it doesn’t mean that you can’t hear, it just means that you don’t care) then by all means, unless you’re seeking a substitute for logs burning in a fireplace, buy SS. Get a relatively efficient A/AB design; but even then, your speaker’s demand for power will be a big factor, so choose an amplifier that easily provides for those demands.
You didn't mention a price point so it's impossible to give you an intelligent answer . I had a fire at my beach house last fall do to my faulty tube amps , so tubes are now out of the question , for me .
The tube amps were almost new and were made by one of the oldest manufacturers around , they did quite allot of damage to the house which is still not inhibitable . I'm hoping the place will be ready for use by mid summer .
I no it's rare , but it's something to ponder .
Not monoblocks, but I'm using a Cary 200.2 s/s amp with an ARC Pre, and it sounds very nice. Might be more power than you're looking for, but no heat to speak of at all. A/B design, has both Balanced and RCA Load is a pair of Martin Logan Theos.
Orpheus10,

I'm going to give you the advice that, I'm sure, many other readers of this thread are thinking of:

If you want tube flavored sound without the heat of tubes and class A ss amps, you should try out a quality tubed preamp of your choice with a class D ss amp or monoblocs. You didn't mention your budget or other components but here are some good class D amps that may give you what you're searching for:

Acoustic Imagery Atsah monoblocs

Mola-Mola monoblocs

Merrill Audio Veritas monoblocs

All 3 incorporate the latest technology in class D technology, the Hypex Ncore NC1200 switching amp modules. All 3 of these amps have high power capabilities, are generally neutral in sonic nature,run at about room temperature and I think they all are about $10-12,000/pair. Although they each utilize the same Hypex modules, they all also use proprietary methods in their surrounding designs. I've recently become a class D fan after pairing my mid-level tubed preamp with a budget ClassD Audio stereo amp. My amp is not in the same league as the monoblocs I suggested above but I am still more than thrilled with mine, anyway. You should probably give atleast one of these amps a tryout in your system prior to purchasing another amp, IMO. If your speakers require a high powered amp(s), I would even say it's a must audition.

Good luck on your search,
Tim

When there were such places as "High end emporiums", I spent so much time in those places, that my wife swore I was seeing another woman; she couldn't believe that I was obsessed with "high end sound". This was at the same time I began to subscribe to "Stereophile". After reading "Recommended components", I would go to the salon and audition whatever they had, this way I learned to classify sound by "A", "B", or "C". The SS amps were affordable class "C", while the tube amps were class "A" and "B"; consequently, I never heard a Class "A" SS amp.

In case no one has noticed, our summers are getting hotter, and AC bills are getting higher. If I'm going to have a furnace in my listening room, it certainly wont be a SS furnace. All the SS amps I've owned ran cool, but I never owned a Class "A" SS amp, and from what I've read in the reviews, "they all run hot", and that's the problem. Does anyone know of a Class "A" SS that doesn't run hot. Here is a list of Class "A" SS amps: Bryston, Classe, darTZeel, Halcro, Jeff Rowland, Lamm, Pass Labs, Musical Fidelity, and of course there are many other high quality SS amps. In regard to the "stereotypical" tube, SS comments, that's the way it was, and not necessarily the way it is. ARC sounds awfully SS to me, and CJ has changed from the way the used to sound, to a sound closer to ARC.

Jfrech, the Ayre VX-5 looks absolutely stunning, A Herron at about the same price is on my audition list; thanks for the "heads up".