What amps do Electrical Engineers own...why?

Not being an engineer, I would like to know what the electrical engineers in the crowd own for amps and what engineering features made them choose that amp? As a lay person, I don't know enough to be able to differentiate good engineering from good marketing.
schw06
Yea Rok2id. Everyone's but yours. I'd also like an answer to your challenge. Oh oh, we're skirting absolutes now, aren't we.
12-27-12: Rok2id
I would like for someone to name ONE Amp with horrible specs, that sounds good.
Actually, that's an easy question. Just about any high end tube amplifier will have specs for Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) that are vastly worse than the corresponding specs of pretty much any inexpensive mass market-oriented solid state receiver. And likewise for damping factor specs, if the comparison is based on the commonly held (but oversimplified and essentially mistaken) belief that the higher the damping factor the better. The high quality tube amplifier, nevertheless, will sound vastly better than the inexpensive solid state receiver, assuming at least that the tube amp's technical characteristics are not grossly mismatched to the requirements of the speaker that is being used.

Why? Because the low THD and high damping factor numbers of inexpensive solid state equipment typically result from the use of large amounts of negative feedback, which in turn reduces relatively unobjectionable distortion components, while resulting in higher levels of those distortion components which our hearing mechanisms find most offensive. A point that Atmasphere has frequently made. And because the low THD comes at the expense of increased Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM), for which standardized specifications (or even any specifications) do not exist as far as I am aware. And because very high damping factors will result in mismatches to many speakers, and will most likely be overkill for all other speakers.

As I indicated in my earlier post specs can serve useful purposes. And ignoring specs altogether can be expected to often lead to expensive mistakes, resulting from mismatches with other components and/or the user's requirements. But specs need to be considered with care and understanding.

Regards,
-- Al
Actually, The last sentenced I typed was, 'Please no Tubes', but I deleted it before I posted. Dang!
BTW, Almarg, I know you to be the most informed and knowledgeable person on the 'gon, So you know exactly what my statement / question / challenge was about. Bringing up tubes is avoiding the issue. :)
Cheers
Thanks, Rok2id. I wasn't intending to avoid the issue.

If we restrict the question to solid state amps, offhand I can't think of any having really poor specs that nevertheless provide top-notch sonics, but there are many renowned high quality amps whose THD and damping factor specs are not **as good** as those of many inexpensive mass market-oriented receivers and amplifiers. Ayre and Pass Labs are just a couple of the many such manufacturers that could be named. Those amplifiers typically use minimal or no feedback, and are able to avoid the use of greater amounts of feedback as a result of the use of high quality parts, and design approaches that are less constrained by cost considerations than in the case of the inexpensive equipment I referred to.

Regards,
-- Al