Build a new system around pair of Snell Alll's?

Due to setting up a second home (in Austin), I have the opportunity to set up a new system around my Snell Alll's. Fortunately, it will be a bigger room and I do plan to make it a HT system although my main interest is to max stereo listening. I've had them on a B&K AVR707 and really enjoyed the clarity and neutrality I got. But feel the staging was too shallow which crunched the imaging. Without having any real tube experience I think I may be a SS listener at heart. The "peach fuzz" feel of tubes I've heard described seems unappealing. What I am convinced of is need to get much more power to the Snells. I know there's a ton of variables here but appreciate any suggestions from those who may be familiar with these beauties. Thanks
tccaux
Power, power, power!

So, the next destination in this journey of discovering my magic Snell AIII setup was to haul them to Audio Systems here in Austin. They’re an authorized Audio Research dealer as well as Bryston. Very nice shop with smaller rooms; committed to bringing good sound to customers with some real nice affordable systems. They seem to do a lot of electrostatic speakers but not exclusively by any means. They were very helpful and friendly.

First up for the Snells was the ARC Ref 5 with the ARC 150 with an ARC DAC 8 and a NAD C545BEE. I started with the cd’s I’ve been testing other setups. Nice, really great staging but the speakers especially the bass, was very clearly "anemic". Clearly not enough power. We didn’t even try the DAC.

So, out with the 150 and in with a Bryston 4bsst2. All else stayed the same. More power and definitely, definitely better. Bass improved but still seemed swallowed, not defined. Overall, something was thin as in too revealing. Listened to both the cd’s and the DAC. Overall characteristics same. Too revealing as almost a thin, shrill (too strong a word) sound.

Then we switched the pre to the ARC LS27. Surprisingly, the “lesser” pre actually provided a better synergy with the Bryston and the Snells. Listened to this combo for quite a time, cd’s and my digital music through the Sonus Connect and the DAC 8. But the more I listened (over an hour) the more the sound - which was initially pleasing and appealing - got…cloying. As I exposed the setup to more and more types of music, the depth and nuance my gut was expecting to hear just wasn’t there. The more I listened the more I got increasingly frustrated. I really expected the power of the Bryston to make the Snells sing according to their legend.

Then, as almost an after thought, the very helpful Audio System salesperson, Rice, suggested we try the Sanders Magtech that was in the shop. I knew they carried Sanders and had come across the company in my research but hadn’t paid that much attention to their products. We hooked up the Magtech and went back to the ARC Ref 5. for the pre. The difference was startling and spectacular! Everything sung like nothing I'd heard before with any other set up! It was satisfying and complete in every way. This was the magic song of Peter Snell.

One enormously revealing bass weakness in the previous set ups was evident with the title cut from Johnny Lang’s “Wander This World”. The opening bass is so big and exotic that it almost sounds like some weird synthesizer sound. With the previous setups, the sound was all over the place. With the Magtech, it was absolutely controlled, defined and placed. That was it. Finally, finally, these beasts were under control.

Rice, the salesperson, went off to check the specs. The Magtech is 900w in 4ohm.

I’d heard and read over the years that the AIII’s needed power. Now it’s clear what that means. In this thread, Johnss said it loud and clear – FOUR JC-1’s. Frogman’s vividly recollection of an AIII magic moment was TWO VTL 300’s. These babies need “tons of power”. Tons of power. Plain and simple.

Just to see what we were listening to, we tried the lesser ARC LS27 and there was a huge, disappointing difference. The power of the Magtech needs a really great front end. The Ref 5, the Magtech and the Snells were truly sweet! The DAC 8 is obviously no slouch either.

So, the search is now more clearly defined. Amp must be very powerful. Don’t think tubes can get me there as my setup (and budget) is currently planned. I’m obviously impressed with the Magtech and it’s definitely a contender (great price and rep). Tubes in the preamp seems very, very appealing. Task now is to find one that really performs at a more approachable price point than the ARC Ref 5 (used Ref 3?) Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Next steps in the journey continue. Thanks all.
Good for you! BTW, your posts should be read by all the cynics who believe there are no decent dealers out there. Never heard the Magtech gear, but sounds like a great match for the Snells. Personally, I would look at a CAT preamp. Based on what seems to appeal to you, and the possibility of an analog setup, a used CAT is hard to beat. The dimensionality and magic of tubes with a highly resolved, clear sound. Good luck.
Sort of late to the party, but I haven't been around in a while. I have two pairs of Type A's (AII & AIII). While the AIII's need the woofer cones redone, I'm running the AII's with a McCormack DNA1, Paradesea DAC, Jolida 100 CD player, and TAD 150Sig pre. I'd definately look for a tube front end with the Snells and SS power for grunt. The do need power.

Have you settled in on a system for them yet?
Fishboat, not yet but closing in. I''m pretty much settled as you suggest. Thanks!
I would also recommend you consider the Parasound JC 1s for your Snells.

I found nothing near their price point which came close when I was shopping. Honestly, I found nothing I liked better at any price of what I was able to listen to.